Apotemnophilia - a paraphilia of the stigmatic/eligibilic type in which sexuerotic arousal and facilitation or attainment of orgasm and dependent upon oneself being an amputee [from the Greek, apo, from + temnien, to cut = - philia].
Apotemnophilia (from Greek ap?t?�?e?? "to cut off") or amputation fetish is the overwhelming desire to amputate one or more healthy limbs. Some authorities hold that the condition is often sexual in origin.
An individual with true apotemnophilia may be chronically unsatisfied with their sexual relationships, or even completely sexually disfunctional until their desire for amputation is realized.
An apotemnophile becomes fixated on carrying out a self-contrived amputation, or obtaining one in a hospital.
This condition is similar to Acrotomophilia but is differentiated by the desire for oneself to be an amputee as oposed to one's partner having an amputation.
Very few surgeons will treat apotemnophilia patients by giving them what they want, with the exception of circumcision. There are hence several recorded cases of sufferers resorting to self-amputation of a "superfluous" limb, for example by allowing a train to run over it. Often the obsession is with one specific limb, with patients "not feeling complete while they still have a left leg", for example. The condition is usually treated as a psychiatric disorder.
Many view the circumcision fetish as a form of apotemnophilia, particularly in the case of an adult male being voluntarily circumcised. Some cultures practice rituals, often voluntary, involving removal of body parts, in many cases this involves the sex organs.
Facts and Tips about Apotemnophilia
- Acrotomophilia pass on the sexual interest in amputees, otherwisw it is the medical term for a people with the sexual fetish or paraphilia of being an amputee.
- Apotemnophilia is similar to acrotomophilia, but is unliked by the desire for oneself to be an amputee, as opposed to one's partner having an amputation.
- Apotemnophilia extend from normal human sexuality into a kind of sexual fetishism. Sexologicall, the pathological end of the attraction tends to be seen as a paraphilia, though also as an aspect of identity disorder.
- Acrotomophilia characterized are very strongly, some people with apotemnophilia come to feel discontented with their bodies and want to actually remove an otherwise healthy limb, a situation called body integrity or identity disorder.
- For treating acrotomophilia related literature on scarring, self-mutilation, tran gendered surgery, and internet support systems are reviewed.