Aripiprazole - AbilifyTweet
Generic Name: Abilify
Uses of Aripiprazole:
Aripiprazole is an anti-psychotic drug for treating psychoses. It is used to treat schizophrenia. It works by decreasing abnormal excitement in the brain.
Aripiprazole was discovered in Japan by Otsuka Phramaceutical Co., Ltd. The compound entered Phase II trials for patients with schizophrenia in that country by 1995, followed by Phase III trials in Europe by 2000. In 1999, Otsuka-America arranged with Bristol-Myers Squibb to manage Phase III clinical trials and marketing of the new drug in the US. Abilify received FDA approval in November of 2002. It is so new that clinical experience with it, particularly in children, remains very limited.
How to Take Aripiprazole
Take this medicine as directed. It can be taken with or without food. Do not stop taking this medicine abruptly without consulting with your doctor.
Side Effects of Aripiprazole:
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
- an inner sense of restlessness or need to move (akathisia),
- upset stomach,
- vomiting, agitation,
- lightheadedness, and
Abilify, or aripiprazole, is a type of medication that is used to treat schizophrenia, depression and mania. It works in that it can work as a liquid or tablet that is used to control neurotransmitter production in the brain. It can be used to handle depression and schizophrenia as well as mania.
This is a medication that is popular because it can be used by a variety of people. It can be used by people as young as thirteen years of age who are dealing with schizophrenia. It can also be used by people as young as ten to handle bipolar disorder and cases of depression.
It treats depression when other antidepressants cannot do so
There are a number of cases where a person can end up dealing with signs of depression even when dealing with antidepressants. Abilify is known to work with this condition because it can allow a person to deal with handling this condition. This is especially important because of how some other antidepressants may not be easily taken care of.
It works with the chemicals in the brain in mind
A big part of this medication is that it works to allow chemicals in the brain to be naturally altered. It will be easy for them to be handled because they can involve working to ensure that natural substances can be altered in a number of ways.
Some symptoms can be involved
There are a series of different symptoms for people to watch for with Abilify. It can cause headaches, diarrhea, drowsiness and weight gain in a number of people. It can also cause some severe effects in a rare number of cases. These effects include such things as seizures, chest pains and changes in one’s vision. These are all dangerous effects to take a look at.
Warnings and precautions for Aripiprazole
Before taking Aripiprazole,
- Aripiprazole has not been studied in pregnant women. However, some unwanted effects have been reported in animal studies. The physician may chose to use aripiprazole if he or she feels that it its benefits outweigh this potential concern.
- It is not known whether aripiprazole passes into human breast milk. This medicine does pass into the milk of rats. Aripiprazole is not recommended during breast-feeding, because it may cause unwanted effects in nursing babies.
- Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, you should not suddenly stop taking this medicine, even if you feel better and think you don't need it any more. This is because the medicine controls the symptoms of the illness but doesn't actually cure it. This means that if you suddenly stop treatment your symptoms could come back.
- Studies on this medicine have only been done in adult patients, and there is no specific information comparing the use of aripiprazole in children with use in other age groups.
- Although certain medicines should not be used together at all, in other cases two different medicines may be used together even if an interaction might occur. In these cases, your healthcare professional may want to change the dose, or other precautions may be necessary.
What to do if you take Overdose of Aripiprazole?
Seek medical attention immediately. For non emergencies, contact your local or regional poison control center.
What to do if you take Missed Dose of Aripiprazole?
Take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
How to Store Aripiprazole:
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.