Bergamot (Citrus Bergamia)
Origin of bergamot oil:
Native to Morocco, it wasn't until Bergamot rooted in Italy , that its essential properties were recognized.
Bergamot oil Description:
The Bergamot tree belongs to the same family as the orange tree and the essential oil, as in most citrus varieties, is expressed from the fresh peel of the fruit. The oil is emerald green in color and smells spicier than lemon but with a similar citrus quality. The order is familiar from its use as a flavoring in Earl Gray Tea.
Bergamot oil Therapeutic Effects:
- Has a powerful uplifting and refreshing action.
- As an antiseptic it has proved effective in the treatment of skin and mouth infection and sore throats.
- Bergamot oil has a strong affinity for the urinary tract and is valuable in the treatment of cystitis and arthritis.
- Bergamot is cooling in feverish conditions and has effective insect repellent properties.
- Bergamot will also allay the pain of shingles and ease chicken pox in small children.
Uses of bergamot oil :
- Bergamot blends well with most essences and is a popular top note in perfumery.
- Along with Neroli and Lavender it is a main ingredient in eu-de-cologne and is commonly used in toiletries to refresh and relax.
- In massage it can stimulate or soothe depending on the oils with which it is mixed.
Cautionary Note about bergamot oil:
In concentrations above 1% it can irritate the skin. Also even though it is sometimes added to commercial suntan agents to stimulate melanin production, it must never be used in home mixture for tanning purposes.
Aromatherapy Basics - Learn about aromatherapy, history and origin of aromatherapy, uses and benefits of aromatherapy & many other information on aromatherapy.
What are Essential Oils? How Essential Oils and aromatherapy work? The vital element in any Aromatherapy treatment is the pure essential oil. An essential oil is an aromatic, volatile substance extracted from a single botanical source by distillation
How to use Essential Oils and aromatherapy? There are many ways in which Essential Oil can be used such as inhalation, massage, facial mask, fragrance etc.
How to extract essential oil? There are many ways in which essential oils are extracted such as Distillation, pressing, maceration etc.
Blending of Essential oil and aromatherapy blend. Know about the basics of Aromatherapy Blend, art of aromatherapy blend such as mixing, storing etc.
Lavender essential oil - Lavendula Officinalis
Bergamot essential oil - Citrus Bergamia
Jasmine essential oil - Jasminum Officinale
Geranium essential oil - Pelargonium Adorantissimum
Cinnamon essential oil - CinnamomumZeylanicum
Basil essential oils - Ocimum Basilicum
Ylang-Ylang - Cananga odorata
Sandalwood essential oils - Santalum album
Orange essential oil - Citrus aurantium
Rose essential oil - Rosa Centifolia, Rosa Damascena
Rosemary essential oil - Rosmarinus Officinalis
Patchouli essential oil - Pogostemon patchouli
Chamomile essential oil - Anthemis Nobilib
Sage essential oil - Salvia Officinalis