The brain is free to move a little within the skull due to this it get shaken by a blow to the head. This shaking is called concussion. Concussion means an injury to the brain that results from an impact to the head. In concussions bleeding inside the skull or into the brain do not include. Another type of brain injury is present if bleeding is visible on a CT scan of the brain. Concussions are common. The damage to the brain take place within the deep brain tissue. Soldiers are at elevated risk for concussion.
Causes of Concussion
The causes of Concussion are as follows -
- The causes of concussion include sports injuries, assaults, industrial and work-related injuries.
- Concussion causes due to bomb blasts, it is found in soldier.
- Previous head trauma also causes to the concussion.
Symptoms of Concussion
The signs and symptoms of the concussion are as follows -
- Feeling tired all the time
- Unequal pupil size
- Unusual eye movements
- Feeling sad, anxious, or listless
- Poor balance
- Becoming easily irritated for little or no reason
- Vision disturbance
- Lack of interest in your usual activities.
Diagnosis of Concussion
Diagnosing a concussion consist of several steps. A doctors take some neurological exam which includes checking your memory and concentration, vision, hearing, balance, coordination and reflexes. The diagnosis of concussion take place with help of scanning methods like -
- Computerized tomography (CT) scan - It uses a X-ray machine linked to a computer to produce 2D images of your brain.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan - uses magnetic fields and radio waves to generate images of the brain. It is a painless test.
Treatment of Concussion
Rest is the best recovery technique. Medicine takes time. Some treatments are as follows -
- Ice is applied to for pain relief and to decrease the swelling.
- Avoid aspirin, as it can increase the risk of bleeding.
- For headaches take acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
- In some cases surgery is required if there is severe bruising or swelling in the brain.
- Psychological treatment help to reduce about 40% patients problems.
- Take care to avoid further injury.
Prevention of Concussion
The use of protective headgear which decrease the risk of concussion when you are busy in any activity.
- Wear a helmet during recreational activities.
- Wear a seat belt during driving which prevent from the head injuries.
- Avoid wearing high heels, sandals with light straps.
- Take care during playing sports like Football, Rollerblading, Cycling and Baseball.
- Wear sensible shoes.
Post concussion syndrome is not well known it causes concussion symptoms to last for weeks or months. People having a concussion have a double risk of developing epilepsy within the first five years after the injury. The concussions is more complex in people who suffer cumulative neurological damage.
What is the prognosis of Concussion?
Most people recover completely, with no lifelong problems. Some symptoms will longer for some weeks. Recovery may take longer period than who have had a previous head injury. Diagnosis of concussion is very complicated because it shares symptoms with other condition like cognitive problems may be misattributed to brain injury.