Dystonia is one type of neurological disorder. Sometimes, dystonia may be inherited neurological disease which consist of disorder in movement. Dystonia syndrome is consist of contraction of different muscle of the body. Dystonia is generally occur in both male as well as female of middle age.
Types of Dystonia
There are different types of Dystonia according to the various part of the body;
- Blepharospasm - This type of dystonia is affected on eye muscle.
- Cervical dystonia - Neck muscle is involved in Cervical dystonia.
- Laryngeal dystonia - Voice is changed in this Laryngeal dystonia, because of dystonia affect on muscle of vocal cord.
- Myoclonus dystonia - Normally, myoclonus dystonia is affected on muscle of neck, trunk and arm in case of children.
- Cranial Dystonia - Cranial Dystonia is affected on muscle of head and muscle.
- Oromandibular dystonia - Muscles of mouth and jaw are affected by Oromandibular dystonia.
Causes of Dystonia
- Disorder in central nervous system may be cause of Dystonia.
- Dystonia is also caused by brain damage.
- Stroke is one of the most important cause of dystonia.
- Lack of oxygen is as well cause of dystonia.
- Brain tumor is also major reason of dystonia.
- Contraction of muscles is very important reason of Dystonia.
What are the signs of Dystonia?
There are very much symptoms are found in dystonia;
- Blinking of eye rapidly
- Speech difficulty
- Changing Voice
- Eyelid contraction
- Extended effort
- Foot dragging
Diagnosis of Dystonia
- Blood and urine test are the important method of diagnosis of dystonia.
- In case of identification of tumor, MRI scan is also used for diagnosis of dystonia.
- Brain scan is also useful test for finding dystonia.
Treatment for Dystonia
- Different type of exercise is helpful in treatment of Dystonia.
- Some relaxation therapy is also essential for cure Dystonia disorder.
- You can use of injection of Botulinum toxin in treatment of Dystonia.
- In treatment of Dystonia, you can bring various drugs such as anticholinergics.
- Neurotransmitter acetylcholine drugs are used for treatment of dystonia.
- In special cases, surgery may be optional for some patients when medicine is ineffective.