The Intracranial hematoma means the collections of blood in the brain in between the brain and skull. Intracranial hematoma is a critical situation which require quick treatment. A intracranial hematoma occurs when the blood vessels of the brain get breaks. Due to this breaking of blood vessels the blood get collected in the between the brain and skull. This clotted blood destroy the brain tissue.
In intracranial hematoma surgery treatment help to remove the blood from the skull. The recovery from the intracranial hematoma take many months and it may be incomplete.
Types of Intracranial Hematoma
- Subdural Intracranial Hematoma - The subdural intracranial hematoma is form in between the arachnoids matter and middle layer of the durra matter. There are three types of subdural hematoma like acute, subcute and chronic. Acute subdural hematoma is more serious than the other subacute and chronic hematoma.
- Epidural Intracranial Hematoma - The epidural intracranial hematoma is form in the brain in the outer layer of tissue in the brain. Due to blood vessels breakage the blood get collected in outer layers of the durra matter and get collected in the brain. The children's and teenager causes this epidural intracranial hematoma.
- Intracerebral Intracranial Hematoma - The intracerebral intracranial hematoma is form in between the arachnoids matter and inner layers of the brain causing the injuries to the head.
Causes of Intracranial Hematoma
The causes of intracranial hematoma are as follows -
- The head injuries causes to the intracranial hematoma due to bumping of head. This causes to the accumulation of blood in between the brain and skull.
- The subdural intracranial hematoma is caused due to the ruptured of blood vessels which collect the blood in middle layer of the durra matter and skull.
- Due to skull fracture the epidural intracranial hematoma cause.
- Due to pooling of blood in the brain causes to the intracerebral intracranial hematoma.
- Hematoma also causes due to mild head trauma.
- ntraparenchymal hematoma is not only causes due to truma it also causes due to blood vessel disorder and long hypertension.
Symptoms of Intracranial Hematoma
The symptoms means a condition which is experienced by people. The symptoms of the intracranial hematoma are as follows
- Difficulty in speech or language.
- Memory changes.
Diagnosis of Intracranial Hematoma
The diagnosis of intracranial hematoma consist of many scanning technique like CT scan and MRI scan.
- CT scan and MRI scan help to find out the injuries which are done due to fractures or any accident damage and help in diagnosis of acute, subacute and chronic subdural hematoma. These two methods create the detail image of brain on computer.
Treatment of Intracranial Hematoma
One of the best option of treatment for hematoma is surgery. The surgery depends on the type of hematoma for that some options are
- Perforation - In this the unclotted blood is removed by doctors by making the hole to the skull by the suction.
- Craniotomy - In this for removing the blood from the skull it require the opening suction of skull.
- The subdural hematoma does not necessary to remove because it they are very minor and does not causes any symptoms.
- In some cases corticosteroids and diuretics medicine is used to reduce the brain swelling.
Prevention of Intracranial Hematoma
The following steps may help to you to prevent or minimize the intracranial hematoma.
- Always use safety leisure equipments.
- Use recreational equipments like helmet during sports.
- Built a seat belt which help to minimize the damage od head and prevent from the dangerous accident.
What is the prognosis of Intracranial Hematoma?
The intracranial hematoma require the quick treatment. In this recovery may be incomplete or very lengthy. The patients with CSDH may treat after surgical process. It done with 86% to 96% of patients.