Spasmodic Torticollis is intermittent dystonia and spasms of the cervical muscles, mainly is sternocleidomastoid and trapezius. Generally, it consist of distorted posture, exhibited by a twisting or bending of the neck and an unnatural situation of the head. Spasmodic torticollis is also known as torticollis or cervical dystonia which is very painful disorder.
Causes of Spasmodic torticollis
Generally, no one know exact cause of spasmodic torticollis.
- Spasmodic torticollis is mainly caused by twisting of muscle of neck.
- Trauma and some types of accident could be responsible for Spasmodic torticollis.
- Abnormal and excessive brain input to muscles is one of the cause of Spasmodic torticollis.
Symptoms of Spasmodic torticollis
Symptoms of spasmodic torticollis typically begin slowly but it may be sudden. There are various symptoms of Spasmodic torticollis disorder;
- Neck pain is main symptoms of spasmodic torticollis.
- Spasmodic torticollis is also include swelling of neck muscle.
- Uneven shape of head may be sign of spasmodic torticollis.
- Headache is also sympotoms of spasmodic torticollis.
- Spasmodic torticollis is also involves vibration of neck as symptoms.
Diagnosis of Spasmodic torticollis
- Blood and urine test is useful detecting toxins of spasmodic torticollis.
- MRI scan and CT scan are also useful in diagnosis of spasmodic torticollis.
- Spasmodic torticollisis also tested by genetic testing.
- EMG techinique is also useful in diagnosis of spasmodic torticollis.
- History of patient’s chronic antipsychotic use and involuntary actions in muscles outside of the neck is helful for diagnosis of spasmodic torticollis.
Treatment for Spasmodic torticollis
- Botulinum toxin is a neurotoxin protein which is produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. This medicine is used in treatment of spasmodic torticollis.
- Injection of Botulinum toxin is very effective in treatment of spasmodic torticollis.
- Surgery is last option for treatment of spasmodic torticollis.
- Anticonvulsants medications like carbamazepine is used for treating cervical dystonia that is spasmodic torticollis.
- Deep brain stimulation is most useful treatment of spasmodic torticollis.
- Dopamine is a neurotransmitter helps in movement of brain muscle which is essentail for curing spasmodic torticollis.