Spinal cord injuryTweet
Paralysis is generally caused by spinal cord injury. Actually, in spinal cord injury involves myelopathy that is damage to white matter or myelinated fiber tracts that bring sensation and motor signals of brain. It also includes loss of movement. It is also called as simply SCI which is shock or damage to the spinal cord.
What are the types of spinal cord injury?
There are two types of spinal cord injury;
- Complete spinal cord injury - In case of complete spinal cord injury, complete loss of motor function and sensation below the site of spinal cord injury. Typically, this type of SCI is caused by loss of blood to the spinal cord, pressure on the spinal cord and also cut off spinal cords.
- Incomplete spinal cord injury - In case of incomplete or partial type of spinal cord injury there can not completely loss of motor or sensation below the area of the spinal cord injury. Anterior as well as central cord syndrome, injuries to individual nerve cells are responsible for incomplete type of SCI.
Causes of spinal cord injury
There are some following causes of spinal cord injury;
- Trauma is main cause of spinal cord injury, it may consist of war injuries, falls, diving accidents, gunshots, etc.
- Another cause of spinal cord injury is different type of tumors such as meningiomas, ependymomas, astrocytomas, and metastatic cancer.
- Spinal cord injury is also caused by Demyelinative diseases like Multiple Sclerosis.
- Spina bifida and meningomyolcoele are one type of developmental disorder which is also cause of spinal cord injury.
- Some neurodegenerative diseases are responsible for spinal cord injury.
- Spinal cord stroke and inflammation are the transverse myelitis which is cause of spinal cord injury.
Effects of Spinal Cord Injury
There are various harmful and dangerous effects of spinal cord injury which consist of;
- Dysfunction of bowel and bladder are effects of spinal cord injury by bladder infection.
- Spinal cord injury also effects on sexual functionality.
- C-1, C-2 injury is main effect of spinal cord injury which responsible for breathing loss.
- Different neurological pains are effects of spinal cord injury.
- Abnormality in blood pressure and sweating are also effects of spinal cord injury.
- Loss of calcium, weakness in muscle and gallbladder stones are other effects of spinal cord injury.
Diagnosis of Spinal Cord Injury
- Spine X-rays may be used for diagnosis of SCI by showing fracture and damage of spinal cord.
- CT scan and MRI scan are also useful for determining problem in spinal cord such as blood clots.
- In rare cases, Mylogram may be required for diagnosis of Spinal cord injury.
Treatment for spinal cord injury
Instantaneous treatments are necessary for accurate treatment of spinal cord injury.
- Xcell-Center Spinal Cord Injury treatment is latest and effective treatment for spinal cord injury.
- Spinal cord injury is treated by high dose of methylprednisolone.
- Occasionally, some surgery can be done for treatment of spinal cord injury by removing fragmentation among the bones.
- Physical therapy and occupational therapy could be essential for cure spinal cord injury.