Vocal cord paralysisTweet
Vocal cord paralysis is one type of voice disorder. Vocal cord is responsible for producing voice. In this disorder, vocal cords do not open or close appropriately. It is very common type of paralysis. There are two types of vocal cord paralysis;
- Unilateral Vocal cord paralysis - This is common type of vocal cord paralysis. Malignancy that is tumor is main cause of this type of vocal cord paralysis. Iatrogenic injury is important cause of unilateral vocal cord paralysis.
- Bilateral Vocal cord paralysis - Bilateral vocal cord paralysis is a painful condition of vocal cord. This is not uncommon type of vocal cord hairstyle. It consists of traumatic, infectious, and mixed vocal cord paralysis.
Causes of Vocal cord paralysis
- Different head trauma can be responsible for vocal cord paralysis.
- Mostly, vocal cord paralysis is caused by neurological problem such as a neck injury, thyroid cancer, tumor pressing on a nerve, and also viral infection of vocal cord.
- Parkinson's disease is as well cause of Vocal cord paralysis.
- Vocal cord paralysis may be caused by damage of brain nerves.
What are the different syptoms of Vocal cord paralysis?
Voice problem is main symptom of vocal cord paralysis. There are various other signs and symptoms of vocal cord paralysis;
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Roughness in voice
- Blocking of swallowing food
- Inability in loud speak
- Ineffective coughing
Diagnosis of Vocal cord paralysis
Generally, otolaryngologist is diagnosed vocal cord paralysis by taking several test;
- Endoscopy is one of the best methods of diagnosis of vocal cord paralysis.
- Vocal cord paralysis is testing by check up of patient's voice.
- Diagnosis of vocal cord paralysis is also consist of acoustic spectrograph technique.
- Endoscope is as well used in diagnosis of vocal cord paralysis.
- Sometimes, vocal cord paralysis is also tested by blood tests.
- MRI scan can be used in determing this type of paralysis.
Treatment for Vocal cord paralysis
- Vocal cord paralysis may be cured by bulk injection.
- Voice therapy plays an important role in treatment of of vocal cord paralysis.
- In some cases, surgery can very useful in curing Vocal cord paralysis by changing position of vocal cord.
- You can also improve your voice by moving paralyzed vocal cord.
- Tracheotomy is imporatant surgical treatment of vocal cord paralysis.