Information on Desipramine medicine, its uses, side effects and precautionsTweet
Brand Name: Norpramin
Uses of Desipramine:
Desipramine, an antidepressant (mood elevator), is used to treat depression. Desipramine also is used occasionally to treat eating disorders and cocaine withdrawal.
This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How to Take Desipramine:
Take this medicine as directed. It can be taken with or without food. Do not stop taking this medicine abruptly without consulting with your doctor.
Desipramine Side Effects:
Some common side effects reported with this medicine include:
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Weight gain
Warnings and precautions for Desipramine hydrochloride:
- Desipramine can interact with the MAOIs, so you should not start taking Desipramine until two weeks after you have been taking any of the MAOIs.
- Talk with your physician or pharmacist if you are taking other medications.
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to desipramine, aspirin, tartrazine (a yellow dye in some processed foods and drugs), or any other drugs.
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription drugs you are taking especially anticoagulants; antihistamines; cimetidine; estrogens; fluoxetine; levodopa; lithium; MAO inhibitors, tranylcypromine; medication for high blood pressure, seizures, Parkinson's disease, diabetes, asthma, colds, or allergies; methylphenidate (Ritalin); muscle relaxants; oral contraceptives; sedatives; sleeping pills; thyroid medications; tranquilizers; and vitamins.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking desipramine, call your doctor immediately.
- This medicine may cause dizziness or drowsiness. Alcoholic beverages can increase the side effects of this medicine and should be avoided.
- Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
What to do if you take Overdose of Desipramine medicine?
Seek medical attention immediately. For non emergencies, contact your local or regional poison control center.
What to do if you take Missed Dose of Desipramine?
Take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
How to Store Desipramine:
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.