Perfection is good, but it is good if it is not impacting your life and making you go nuts over getting things in perfect shape and order. Nothing in this world is going to change if things are not done the way you would have thought them to be. So relax, take a break and leave that perfection nature making good amount of breathing space for you and people near you.
Here are some of the top ways and tips to combat the urge of being perfect.
Top tips for Handling Urge of Perfection
1. You need to expose your worries – You need to be talking about your worries and what will happen if the things are not perfect. You can talk to your parent, spouse, friends, co-workers, etc. This will help you build the emotional definition to all your worries and you will get a different perspective of things. The exposure will help you in getting in terms of your worries and recude them to a great extent.
2. Change your perspective about the outcome. Think that out of many outcomes and possibilities, there is only one dire consequence which you are too much worried about. If you judge the possible outcomes and think rationally about the perspective, you will be able to counter the urge of perfection.
3. Try and examine the evidence against your worst fear. Let us assume that you think if your shirt is not pressed perfectly you will have a big set back. Now try doing this one day and try to wear a wrinkled shirt. Check on your day and find out what went bad and what not. For all the things that went bad are worth so much of anxiety you are picking up in life due to this? Check on your own.
4. Mistakes and failures are opportnity to learn and move on. Have this thinking and start improving yourself rather than spending days and nights worrying about the final goal and its outcome. It’s not always the case that your worst nightmares come true. Have faith and move on.
5. Keep your focus on learning new things and skill, rather than being the best in everything you do. Every person in this world cannot be Pele and Ali at the same time. You cannot be a movie star and a Governor at the same time.
6. Take help to find the faults and unhealthy logic in your thinking. You can discuss with support groups, professionals and therapists if you cannot find solace in your relatives, or family members.
7. Watch movies and read boooks on how people have struggled and had multiple failures before they eneded up doing something which brought changes in people’s lives. There are many such personalities which helped us in every possible aspect of life and they taught an important lesson too – that things do not come easy. There are failures, mistakes, set backs and hardships along the way. And not all the stories are part of books and movies – there are cases where the end result was not that bright. And I mean it, these cases are far too many, than you think.