Depression Symptoms and SignsTweet
Not everyone who is depressed, experiences every symptom. Although it is often termed as mental illness, clinical depression often has as many physical symptoms as mental. If these have been experienced for more than two weeks it is essential to seek help.
Some common symptom and sign of depression include:
Severity of Depression symptoms varies with individuals and also varies over time. Some of them may be as follows:
- Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism.
- You feel that life has/is 'passing you by'.
- You don't want to see people or are scared to be left alone. Social activity may feel hard or impossible.
- Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness.
- Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" mood.
- You feel exhausted a lot of the time with no energy.
- You feel as if even the smallest tasks are sometimes impossible.
- You spend a lot of time thinking about what has gone wrong, what will go wrong or what is wrong about yourself as a person. You may also feel guilty sometimes about being critical of others (or even thinking critically about them).
- Loss of interest in previously pleasurable activities.
- You feel a burden to others.
- You sometimes feel that life isn't worth living.
- You feel you have no confidence.
- You have difficulty sleeping or wake up very early in the morning and can't sleep again.
Physical Symptoms of Depression include:
- Changes in weight - either significant loss or gain in weight.
- Restlessness, fatigue.
- Physical aches and pains, sometimes with the fear that you are seriously ill.
Some more Severe Symptoms of Depression include:
- Thoughts about death or suicide.
- Increased heart beat
- Poor concentration, memory or attention.
Common symptom of depression, as voiced by Hamlet: "How weary, stale, flat, and unprofitable seem to me all the uses of this world!"
Importantly, there are also other illnesses which may produce similar symptoms to depression, and that require a very different treatment. Your doctor will be able to test for these.
The way our thought process works, how depression affects our biology and where the physical symptoms of depression come from are the most vital pieces of information needed to Understand Depression.
Symptoms needed to meet criteria for 'depressive episode' in ICD-10:
A - Depressed Mood
Loss of interest and enjoyment
Reduced energy and decreased activity
B - Reduced concentration
Reduced self esteem and confidence
Ideas of guilt and unworthyness
Ideas of self harm
- Mild depressive episode - at least 2 of A and atleast 2 of B
- Moderate depressive episode - at least 2 of A and atleast 3 of B
- Severe depressive episode - all 3 of A and atleast 4 of B
Severity of symptoms and degree of functional impairment also guide classification.
Why not join our forums and keep learning many interesting things while having fun with other forum members? Believe us, you'll just love it.
You may also interested in:
Major depression Symptoms
Bipolar Depression Symptom and sign
Symptoms of Teen Depression
Symptoms of depression in child
Postpartum Depression sign snd symptom
Mild Depression Symptoms
Male depression signs
Stress and Depression Symptoms
i have cough problem due to depression
tell me how i can recover my health - neelofer
look after ereading this article i know i am in the very depressed stage i fell worthless all the timr=e i feel like sex is no fun i am very depressed right now and i know i need meds or treatment or threapy or some thing so help me my name is paul karl hoiland i live at 4133 east keener way my num is 870 3317 but i have no min now hit me up later cause ireally need help this is kinda the first time ive ever told someone. all my friends say i show no emotion cause i bottle it all and it even kinda scares me cause my gurlfriend cheated on me i got kicked out of my place lost my job now im doing better but still i show no emotion help me pj - paul
Exercise,join a jogging group(early morning/late afternoon 20 min. jog is a great pick me up and will allow your lungs to get back into shape!)Avoid over indulgence in dairy products!They can flem ya'up!Also drink over 8 glass' of water a da i do atleast 13! - Tessie
Its a new school year, and I am doing a lot. Working full time at a school and taking 3 college classes, but lately I just feel out of it. I dont want to go anywhere or see anyone. I just feel like crying, and generally end up doing that. I cant sleep at night, just toss and turn. During the day it feels as though I have ADD, or ADHD cause I cant keep still and wont stick with something, it gets boring or I just dont want to do it anymore. If I could just lay in bed all day I would, and not talk to anyone. Whats up with me, am I stressed or just unhappy? - Kari