What is Seborrheic Dermatitis?
Seborrheic Dermatitis is on type of skin disease. It normally affects the scalp. Typically it is called as dandruff. Seborrheic Dermatitis is also affects on the face, chest, arms, and legs. Seborrheic Dermatitis disease is found in mostly in men than women of all ages. This disease also occurs in babies who are older than 3 months of age. This disease is includes itchy red skin, dandruff, scaly skin. Seborrheic dermatitis disease can be uncomfortable and not harmful. Seborrheic Dermatitis includes inflammatory skin conditions. It is also called Cradle cap, in the case of scalp. It is international disease which contains over production of skin cells.
Causes of Seborrheic Dermatitis
- This disease causes flaking of the skin. Causes of Seborrheic Dermatitis disease is related with neurological disorder. Some causes linked to the disorder of hormones and skin.
- Cause of Seborrheic dermatitis is abnormal of oil glands and hair follicles.
- Sometimes causes of Seborrheic dermatitis are related with specific hormones, travel, season change, physical stress.
- Due to a combination of production of oil and irritation from yeast causes Seborrheic Dermatitis disease.
- A skin-barrier dysfunction is also cause of Seborrheic Dermatitis disease.
- Seborrheic dermatitis may be caused by genetic predisposition, oily skin, humidity, May be HIV infection, malnutrition, poor hygiene, alcoholism.
- Overgrowth of normal skin yeast is the most important cause of Seborrheic dermatitis.
Symptoms of Seborrheic Dermatitis
- Patchy scaling
- Yellow or white scales in the hair
- Hair loss
- Slightly red skin
- Burning of skin
Diagnosis of Seborrheic Dermatitis
- Doctors can be diagnoses seborrheic dermatitis by talking about symptoms to the patients and examining skin and scalp.
- Skin biopsy test may be used.
- For diagnosis of this disease, patch testing can be taking.
- Blood and skin testing is taken for diagnosis.
- Diagnoses clinically by examining oil flaking and Erythema.
Treatment for Seborrheic Dermatitis
- Treatment of Seborrheic Dermatitis disease is depends on age of person and disease location on the body;
- In the case of Seborrheic dermatitis of scalp, you can use anti-dandruff shampoo which is containing salicylic acid or zinc pyrithione in the two times a week until disease is controlled.
- For improve scalp circulation, you can massage baby's scalp with fingers or soft brush.
- For babies, you can use of steroid lotions in the skin creases.
- You can use of anti-itching cream for Seborrheic dermatitis disease of body skin.
- Treatment of Seborrheic dermatitis disease includes use of pyrithione zinc or selenium sulfide shampoos, Ketoconazole cream or sodium sulfacetamide.
- Hygiene is playing an important role in controlling Seborrheic dermatitis.
- In the case of dense scale, scale removed by using warm mineral oil for the scalp and washing with tar shampoo after some hours.