Generic Name: o Escitalopram
Uses of Cipralex:
Cipralex is mainly used for treating depression. SSRIs work by preventing serotonin from being reabsorbed back into the nerve cells in the brain. This helps prolong the mood lightening effect of any released serotonin. In this way, Cipralex helps relieve depression, panic and fear.
This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
Escitalopram seems to be more effective with proportionings lower than the citalopram (for example 10mg of escitalopram is effective like 40mg of citalopram). Some studies indicate that it is also faster and poses few side effects and problems of interactions of drug. Other studies find it to be very similar to the citalopram in terms of side effects. Escitalopram was first created by Lundbeck and Forest Laboratories. Although the development started in the year 1997, it was submitted to the FDA for approval in 2001.
See also Escitalopram
How does it work?
The tablets of Cipralex contain oxalate of escitalopram of substance activates, which is a type of antidepressant known under the name of selective inhibitor of serotonin reuptake (SSRI).
Medicines of antidepressant act on cells of nerve in the brain. In the brain there are many various chemical compounds called the neuro-transmitters. Those act as chemical messengers between the cells of nerve. Serotonin is such a neuro-transmitter and has the various functions of which we know. When serotonin is released from the cells of nerve in the brain it acts to clarify mood. When it is reabsorbed in the cells of nerve, it does not have any more one effect on mood.
It it is thought that when the depression occurs, there can is a decreased quantity of serotonin released from the cells of nerve in the brain.
Work of SSRIs beside preventing serotonin from again being reabsorbed in the cells of nerve in the brain. This helps to prolong the effect of reduction of mood of any released serotonin. Of this way, the assistances of escitalopram relieve the depression, panic and fear. The weather can take between two to four weeks for the advantages of this medicine to appear, thus it is very important that you continue to take it, even if it does not seem to be much difference initially.
If you feel that your depression or concern has worse, or if you have any thoughts or feelings afflicting in these weeks first, then should speak to you to your doctor.
How to Take Cipralex:
Take this medicine as directed. It can be taken with or without food. Do not stop taking this medicine abruptly without consulting with your doctor.
Side Effects of Cipralex:
Some common side effects reported with this medicine include:
- Difficulty in sleeping (insomnia)
- Shaking, usually of the hands (tremor)
- Disturbances of the gut such as diarrhoea, constipation, nausea, vomiting or abdominal pain
- Visual disturbances
- Decreased appetite
- Fever (pyrexia)
- Alteration in taste
- Sleepiness (somnolence)
- Sexual problems
- Inflammation of the sinuses (sinusitis)
- Pain in the muscles and joints
- Increased sweating
- Rash or itching
How is Cipralex Interaction with other drugs?
Escitalopram/Cipralex, just like other SSRI drugs with few exceptions reduces and stops CYP2D6. Although escitalopram is a weak controller of CYP2D6, some of the hormonal characteristics are not affected.
Who should skip taking this medication?
There are following scenarios in which you should not take Cipralex:
- If you are allergic to escitalopram or citalopram
- If you have some congenital heart conditions
- If you are on any MAOI medication recently (last month or so)
Warnings and precautions for Cipralex
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to Cipralex or any other drugs.
- In people with diabetes, treatment with an SSRI antidepressant may alter control of blood sugar, possibly due to an improvement in depressive symptoms. Your dose of insulin or antidiabetic medicine may need to be altered. Seek medical advice from your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had glaucoma, an enlarged prostate, difficulty urinating, seizures, brain tumors, head injuries, an overactive thyroid gland, or liver, kidney, or heart disease.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking Cipralex, call your doctor immediately.
- If you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking Cipralex.
- You should know that this drug may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
- Remember that alcohol can add to the drowsiness caused by this drug.
- Tell your doctor if you use tobacco products. Cigarette smoking may decrease the effectiveness of this drug.
- Avoid suddenly stopping this medicine. Sudden withdrawal may result in headache, nausea, pins and needles, dizziness and anxiety. When it is time to stop taking this medicine it should be discontinued gradually, following the instructions given by your doctor or pharmacist.
What to do if you take Overdose of Cipralex?
Seek medical attention immediately. For non emergencies, contact your local or regional poison control center.
What to do if you take Missed Dose of Cipralex?
Take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
How to Store Cipralex:
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
Why not join our forums and keep learning many interesting things while having fun with other forum members? Believe us, you'll just love it.
Ccan these tablets make you put on weight?
Lesley fisher (3/04/2006)
I have been on cipralex for 2 months and I cannot sleep for more than 2 hours at a time. I was on 10mg and have now gone down to 5mg one day and 10 the next. I feel agitated and anxious all the time - Dianne
This is the 3rd medication that I have been put on for my depression. First it was Prozac and that stopped working after a year. The next one was Lexapro and that one didn't work at all. Now I am on cipralex and this on is working much better. - nana
I've been on Cipralex for a couple of years (on and off) - with me they definitely make you gain weight and do have the sexual side effects too. But you just have to live with it! - Helen Atkinson
I was put on Cipralex about 3 months ago. I encountered a plateau at about 2 months so I went back to the doctor. He raised my dose from 10mg to 15 and I'm getting crazy side effects already. Does anyone have the same experiences? Any suggestions? - Alex
Today the doctor has given me Cipralex. She claims I shouldn't gain weight and the chances are less that it will affect me sexually. (I'm on 10 mg). I'm also concerned how I will sleep on it as I suffer with insomnia anyway. - sandra