Sometimes these disorders occur as a result of a severe, real stress such as a road traffic accident. Sometimes they occur because people set themselves unrealistic goals.
One or several of the symptoms listed below is usually present in depression. The severity and constancy of the signs make the illness diagnosable as depression. Often other people recognise depression before the person suffering.Â
- Constant tirednessÂ
- Wanting to be in bed for long periods.Â
- Long period of sleep or poor sleep.Â
- early morning wakening.Â
- Feeling worse in the mornings.Â
- Loss of appetiteÂ
- Lack of interest in sexÂ
- Lack of interest in things and people.Â
- Becoming isolated from othersÂ
- Loss of self-esteem and self-worthÂ
- feeling and thoughts of suicideÂ
- Wories that are going madÂ
When we are physically ill, few of us hesitate to seek treatment but the case is very different if we become mentally ill.
Most people find it very hard to accept that they have a mental health problem. However disorders such as depression, anxiety and fobias are commonplace and in most cases, readily treatable. It is important not to suffer alone and to seek medical help if you are suffering from depressive illness.