Aventyl hcl research drugTweet
Brand Name: Nortriptyline
Uses of Aventyl:
Aventyl belongs to a group of medicines known as tricyclic antidepressants (TCA).
The mechanism of mood elevation of tricyclic antidepressants is at present unknown. Aventyl is not an MAO inhibitor. Aventyl inhibits the activity of such diverse agents as histamine, 5-hydroxytryptamine, and acetylcholine. Aventyl increases the pressor effect of norepinephrine but blocks the pressor response of phenethylamine.
This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How to Take Aventyl:
Take this medicine as directed. It can be taken with or without food. Do not stop taking this medicine abruptly without consulting with your doctor.
Side Effects of Aventyl hcl:
Some common side effects reported with this medicine include:
- Weakness or tiredness
- Excitement or anxiety
- Upset stomach
- Dry mouth
- blurred vision
- Skin rash
- Nausea and vomiting
- weight gain or loss
- urinary frequency,
- Skin more sensitive to sunlight than usual
- Changes in appetite or weight
Warnings and precautions for Aventyl
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to Aventyl or any other drugs.
- This medicine may cause low blood sodium levels (hyponatraemia), which can result in drowsiness, confusion, muscle twitching or convulsions. Consult your doctor if you develop any of these symptoms while taking this medicine.
- Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had glaucoma, an enlarged prostate, difficulty urinating, seizures, brain tumors, head injuries, an overactive thyroid gland, or liver, kidney, or heart disease.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking Pamelor, call your doctor immediately.
- If you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking Aventyl.
- You should know that this drug may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
- Remember that alcohol can add to the drowsiness caused by this drug.
- Tell your doctor if you use tobacco products. Cigarette smoking may decrease the effectiveness of this drug.
- Discontinue the MAO inhibitor at least 2 weeks before nortriptyline treatment is started. Patients hypersensitive to nortriptyline should not be given the drug.
What to do if you take Overdose of Aventyl?
Seek medical attention immediately. For non emergencies, contact your local or regional poison control center.
What to do if you take Missed Dose of Aventyl?
Take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
How to Store Aventyl:
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.