Elavil (Etrafon, Perphenazine, Amitriptyline, endep, Tryptizol)Tweet
Generic Name: Amitriptyline
Brand Name: Celexa
Other Name: Etrafon, Perphenazine, Endep, Tryptizol
Drug Class: Antidepressant, TCA
Elavil is a heterocyclic antidepressant - a class of drugs that inhibits the nerve cells' ability reuptake norepinephrine and serotonin and brings the levels of these neurotransmitters back up to normal. Elavil is very sedating.
Find more information on Elavil action and its uses.
How to Take Elavil :
Take this medicine as directed. Do not stop taking this medicine abruptly without consulting with your doctor.
Elavil Side Effects:
Some common side effects reported with Elavil medicine include:
- skin rash,
- itching or hives,
- swelling of the face or tongue, which may casue difficulty swallowing or breathing.
- dry mouth, blurred vision,
- urinary retention
- insomnia, etc.
Warnings and precautions for Elavil:
- Not to be given concomitantly with MAOIs; discontinue MAOI therapy at least 14 days before starting Elavil. Acute recovery phase following MI, acute CHF.
- Talk with your physician or pharmacist if you are taking other medications.
- Elavil drug is not recommended for use during the acute recovery phase following myocardial infarction and in the presence of acute congestive heart failure.
- Elavil should be used with caution in patients with a history of seizures, impaired liver function, a history of hepatic damage or blood dyscrasias and, because of its atropine-like action, in patients with a history of urinary retention, or with narrow-angle glaucoma or increased intraocular pressure.
- Discontinue the drug several days before elective surgery if possible.
What to do if you take Overdose of Elavil ?
Seek medical attention immediately. For non emergencies, contact your local or regional poison control center.
What to do if you take Missed Dose of Elavil ?
Take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
How to Store Elavil :
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
Sometimes crying or laughing
are the only options left,
and laughing feels better right now.
Self Help Leaflets
Take the help of our self help leaflets or booklets.
The DG Magazine
All about living with depression
Alphabatical list of Medicines
A || B || C || D || E || F || G || H || I || J || K || L || M || N || O || P || Q || R || S || T || U || V || W || X || Y || Z
NIMH Medications Booklet- Part I
NIMH Medications Booklet- Part II: Index of Mental Health Medications.
Children's Medications Chart
Cymbalta sometimes used to treat anxiety disorders.
Cymbalta and weight gain
Cymbalta loss weight
Cymbalta and ocd
Cymbalta for depression
Cymbalta and fibromyalgia
Bipolar disorder trileptal
Trileptal side effects
Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine
Clomipramine side effects
Mirtazapine side effects
BUY MEDICINES - YOUR ONLINE GUIDE TO BUYING DEPRESSION MEDICATIONS AND OTHER MENTAL HEALTH RELATED MEDICINES