Fluphenazine Deconoate - side effects and usesTweet
Brand Name: Permitil® Oral; Prolixin Decanoate® Injection; Prolixin Enanthate® Injection; Prolixin® Injection; Prolixin® Oral
Uses of Fluphenazine:
Fluphenazine medicine is used for the treatment of symptoms seen in schizophrenia. It may take weeks to see the benefits.
Other uses of Fluphenazine include treatment of Tourette's disorder, behavioral problems in children, behavior problems of dementia in the elderly, and treatment of disabling involuntary movements in Huntington's chorea.
How to Take Fluphenazine
Take this medicine as directed. It can be taken with or without food. Do not stop taking this medicine abruptly without consulting with your doctor.
Side Effects of Fluphenazine:
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
- upset stomach
- weakness or tiredness
- excitement or anxiety
- dry mouth
- skin more sensitive to sunlight than usual
- changes in appetite or weight
Warnings and precautions for Fluphenazine
Before taking Fluphenazine,
- Severe adverse reactions requiring immediate medical attention may occur and are difficult to predict. Therefore, the evaluation of tolerance and response, and establishment of adequate maintenance therapy, require careful stabilization of each patient under continuous, close medical observation and supervision.
- This medicine may cause increased sensitivity to the sun. Avoid exposure to the sun or sunlamps until you know how you react to this medicine. Use a sunscreen or protective clothing if you must be outside for a prolonged period.
- Safety during pregnancy has not been established. The drug should not be administered to women of childbearing potential, particularly during the first trimester, unless, in the opinion of the physician, the expected benefits outweigh the potential risks to the fetus.
- Safety and efficacy of fluphenazine decanoate in children have not been established. Therefore, it is not indicated for use in the pediatric age group.
- Do not become overheated in hot weather, during exercise, or other activities since heat stroke may occur while you are using this medicine.
What to do if you take Overdose of Fluphenazine?
Seek medical attention immediately. For non emergencies, contact your local or regional poison control center.
What to do if you take Missed Dose of Fluphenazine?
Take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
How to Store Fluphenazine:
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.