Geodon (Ziprasidone) MedicationTweet
Generic Name: Ziprasidone
Uses of Geodon:
Geodon is used to treat schizophrenia. Geodon is in a class of medications called antipsychotics. It works by decreasing abnormal excitement in the brain.
The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the antipsychotic medication Geodon (ziprasidone) early in 2001 for treatment of schizophrenia and schizoaffective disorder.
How to Take Geodon capsule:
Take this medicine as directed. It can be taken with or without food. Do not stop taking this medicine abruptly without consulting with your doctor.
Side Effects of Geodon:
Medicines and their possible side effects can affect individual people in different ways. The following are some of the side effects that are known to be associated with this medicine. Because a side effect is stated here, it does not mean that all people using this medicine will experience that or any side effect.
- Tiredness or sleepiness
- Cough/runny nose
- Abnormal muscle movements such as tremor, shuffling, uncontrolled involuntary movements
Warnings and precautions for Geodon
Before taking Geodon,
- do not take Geodon if you are taking amiodarone (Cordarone, Pacerone), bretylium, chlorpromazine (Thorazine), cisapride (Propulsid), disopyramide (Norpace), dofetilide (Tikosyn), dolasetron (Anzemet), droperidol (Inapsine), erythromycin (E.E.S., E-Mycin, Erythrocin), gatifloxacin (Tequin), halofantrine (Halfan), ibutilide (Corvert), levomethadyl (ORLAAM), mefloquine (Lariam), mesoridazine (Serentil), moxifloxacin (Avelox), pentamidine (NebuPent, Pentam 300), pimozide (Orap), procainamide (Procanbid, Promine, Pronestyl), quinidine (Quinidex), sotalol (Betapace), sparfloxacin (Zagam), tacrolimus (Prograf), or thioridazine (Mellaril).
- Geodon has caused fetal harm when tested in animals. It should be taken during pregnancy only if the benefits outweigh the potential risk. Notify your doctor as soon as you become pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- tell your doctor if you have recently had a heart attack and if you have or have ever had liver disease, heart failure, irregular heartbeats, stroke or mini-stroke, seizures, Alzheimer's disease, or if you or anyone in your family has or has ever had diabetes.
- It is not known whether Geodon appears in breast milk, and breastfeeding is not recommended.
- you should know that Geodon may cause dizziness, lightheadedness, and fainting when you get up too quickly from a lying position. This is more common when you first start taking ziprasidone. To avoid this problem, get out of bed slowly, resting your feet on the floor for a few minutes before standing up.
What to do if you take Overdose of Geodon?
Seek medical attention immediately. For non emergencies, contact your local or regional poison control center.
What to do if you take Missed Dose of Geodon?
Take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
How to Store Geodon:
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
Sometimes crying or laughing
are the only options left,
and laughing feels better right now.
Self Help Leaflets
Take the help of our self help leaflets or booklets.
The DG Magazine
All about living with depression
Alphabatical list of Medicines
A || B || C || D || E || F || G || H || I || J || K || L || M || N || O || P || Q || R || S || T || U || V || W || X || Y || Z
NIMH Medications Booklet- Part I
NIMH Medications Booklet- Part II: Index of Mental Health Medications.
Children's Medications Chart
Cymbalta sometimes used to treat anxiety disorders.
Cymbalta and weight gain
Cymbalta loss weight
Cymbalta and ocd
Cymbalta for depression
Cymbalta and fibromyalgia
Bipolar disorder trileptal
Trileptal side effects
Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine
Clomipramine side effects
Mirtazapine side effects
BUY MEDICINES - YOUR ONLINE GUIDE TO BUYING DEPRESSION MEDICATIONS AND OTHER MENTAL HEALTH RELATED MEDICINES