Klonopin (Clonazepam) drug for anxiety, Side Effects, WithdrawalTweet
Klonopin has become one of the most popular medications for people to use for seizures and panic attacks. This medication, which is clonazepam, is used for the treatment of these two conditions alongside anxiety disorders. This drug works especially well when it is paired alongside lithium or another type of antidepressant.
Generic Name: Clonazepam
Other Names: Clonex, Rivotril
Uses of Klonopin:
Klonopin (KLON-uh-pin) is used alone or along with other medications to treat convulsive disorders such as epilepsy. It is also prescribed for panic disorder - unexpected attacks of overwhelming panic accompanied by fear of recurrence. Klonopin (marketed by Roche) belongs to a class of drugs known as benzodiazepines. This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How to Take Klonopin drug:
Take this medicine as directed. It can be taken with or without food. Do not stop taking this medicine abruptly without consulting with your doctor.
Klonopin Side Effects:
Some common side effects reported with this medicine include:
- dry mouth
- upset stomach
- changes in appetite
Klonopin Withdrawal Symptoms
10–15% of individuals treated with clonazepam on a long-term pattern (in surplus of 30 days of successive use) acquire a protracted withdrawal syndrome. Protracted withdrawal lasts for months, years, or a decade after clonazepam is discontinued. Protracted withdrawal results from structural brain damage, which is often irreversible.
How does it work?
Klonopin works by targeting receptors that handle GABA neurotransmitters in the brain. These receptors work to ensure that the GABA that is needed is being produced and that it is being handled at a reasonable rate. This is used to ensure that one is going to be healthy and to work with a good type of system for behaviors.
It is available in a number of forms
There are a variety of different types of forms of Klonopin to see. It can be found in tablets of 0.5mg, 1mg and 2mg. Disintegrating wafer tablets of up to 2mg can be used as well. These medications are used to ensure that one will receive the proper amount for one’s needs.
Some side effects can be involved
Like with other drugs there are a couple of important side effects to watch for. A person can be likely to suffer from drowsiness as a result of using this medication. Other common side effects of using Klonopin include a loss of motivation, interference with different types of motor skills, hallucinations and short term memory loss.
Some rare side effects have been reported and a person who experiences them should consider one’s doctor immediately if they are present. These side effects include incontinence, liver damage and psychosis. These are all effects that may be extremely harmful to a person if that person experiences them and continues to take Klonopin regardless of this.
Warnings and precautions for Klonopin drug:
- Talk with your physician or pharmacist if you are taking other medications.
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to Klonopin, aspirin, tartrazine (a yellow dye in some processed foods and drugs), or any other drugs.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications you are taking, especially antihistamines; cimetadine (Tagamet); digoxin (Lanoxin); disulfiram (Antabuse); fluoxetine (Prozac); isoniazide (INH, Laniazid, Nydrazid); ketoconazole (Nizoral); levodopa (Larodopa, Sinemet); medications for depression, seizures, pain, Parkinson's disease, asthma, colds, or allergies; metoprolol (Lopressor, Toprol XL), muscle relaxants; oral contraceptives; phenytoin (Dilantin); probenecid (Benemid); propoxyphene (Darvon); propranolol (Inderal); rifampin (Rifadin); sedatives; sleeping pills; theophylline (Theo-Dur); tranquilizers; valproic acid (Depakene); and vitamins. These medications may add to the drowsiness caused by clonazepam.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to clonazepam, alprazolam (Xanax), chlordiazepoxide (Librium, Librax), clorazepate (Tranxene), diazepam (Valium), estazolam (ProSom), flurazepam (Dalmane), lorazepam (Ativan), oxazepam (Serax), prazepam (Centrax), temazepam (Restoril), triazolam (Halcion), or any other drugs.
- Avoid Klonopin if at all possible during the first 3 months of pregnancy; there is a risk of birth defects. When taken later in pregnancy, the drug can cause other problems, such as withdrawal symptoms in the newborn. If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. Klonopin appears in breast milk and could affect a nursing infant. Mothers taking this medication should not breastfeed.
- Klonopin slows the nervous system and its effects may be intensified by alcohol. Do not drink while taking this medication.
- Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
What to do if you take Overdose of Klonopin drug?
Seek medical attention immediately. For non emergencies, contact your local or regional poison control center.
Klonopin Wafers (clonazepam orally disintegrating tablets) are white, round and debossed with the tablet strength expressed as a fraction or whole number (1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1, or 2).
What to do if you take Missed Dose of Klonopin?
Take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
How to Store Klonopin:
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
This medication was given to me as a part of my treatment. I don't take it regularly...only when very anxious and can't sleep, or when my pain increases after meds to help with sleep. --- jimmy
I have had a lot of success with Klonopin. It helps me fall asleep each night, and I take a half dose as needed for panic/anxiety and it works great then without making me sleepy. -- sara