Lovan, drug and medicine, pharmacyTweet
Generic Name: Fluoxetine
Uses of Lovan:
Lovan (fluoxetine) belongs to the group of antidepressants known as SSRIs and is from the same drug (fluoxetine) as Prozac. Fluoxetine (Prozac) is used to treat depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, some eating disorders, and panic attacks. Fluoxetine (Sarafem) is used to relieve the symptoms of premenstrual dysphoric disorder, including mood swings, irritability, bloating, and breast tenderness. Fluoxetine is in a class of medications called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). It works by increasing the amount of serotonin, a natural substance in the brain that helps maintain mental balance.
This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How to Take Lovan:
Take this medicine as directed. It can be taken with or without food. Do not stop taking this medicine abruptly without consulting with your doctor. The usual adult dose of Lovan is between 20mg and 60mg per day.
Side Effects of Lovan:
Some common side effects reported with this medicine include:
- fatigue or asthenia,
- , dizziness or lightheadedness,
- dry mouth,
- excessive sweating.
- Less frequently, rash, pruritus, weight loss, sexual dysfunction, convulsions.
Warnings and precautions for Lovan
- Not to be used with an MAOI or within 14 days of discontinuing MAOI therapy. Allow at least 5 weeks after stopping Prozac before starting an MAOI. Do not administer thioridazine with Prozac or within 5 weeks after Prozac has been discontinued.
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist what other prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking. Be sure to mention any of the following: alprazolam (Xanax); anticoagulants ('blood thinners') such as warfarin (Coumadin); antidepressants (mood elevators) such as amitriptyline (Elavil), amoxapine (Asendin), clomipramine (Anafranil), desipramine (Norpramin), doxepin (Adapin, Sinequan), imipramine (Tofranil), nortriptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor), protriptyline (Vivactil), and trimipramine (Surmontil); diazepam (Valium); digoxin (Lanoxin); flecainide (Tambocor); insulin or oral medications for diabetes; lithium (Eskalith, Lithobid); medications for anxiety and Parkinson's disease; medications for mental illness such as clozapine (Clozaril), haloperidol (Haldol), and pimozide (Orap); medications for seizures such as carbamazepine (Tegretol) and phenytoin (Dilantin); sedatives; sleeping pills; sumatriptan (Imitrex); tranquilizers; tryptophan; and vinblastine (Velban). Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects.
- Precautions: Pregnancy, lactation, patients < 18 years of age, elderly patients. History of allergic reactions, seizures, suicidal tendency, activation of mania/hypomania, MI or unstable heart disease, diabetes, severe renal or hepatic impairment, hypokalemia (following self-induced vomiting), hyponatremia, altered platelet function.
- You should know that fluoxetine may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this medication affects you.
- Remember that alcohol can add to the drowsiness caused by this medication.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to fluoxetine or any other medications.
What to do if you take Overdose of Lovan?
Seek medical attention immediately. For non emergencies, contact your local or regional poison control center.
What to do if you take Missed Dose of Lovan?
Take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
How to Store Lovan:
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
Lovan is Supplied:
10mg, 20 mg capsules; 20 mg/5 mL of mint-flavored syrup, 120 mL bottles.