Marplan (Isocarboxazid): A guide to Marplan drugTweet
Generic Name: Carbamazepine
Uses of Marplan :
Marplan medicine is used for the treatment of depression. It is usually given after other medicines have failed to help.
Monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors are used to relieve certain types of mental depression. They work by blocking the action of a chemical substance known as monoamine oxidase (MAO) in the nervous system. Although these medicines are very effective for certain patients, they may also cause some unwanted reactions if not taken in the right way. It is very important to avoid certain foods, beverages, and medicines while you are being treated with an MAO inhibitor. Your health care professional will help you obtain a list to carry in your wallet or purse as a reminder of which products you should avoid.
This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How to Take Marplan :
Take this medicine as directed. It can be taken with or without food. Do not stop taking this medicine abruptly without consulting with your doctor.
Side Effects of Marplan :
Some common side effects reported with this medicine include:
- allergic skin reactions,
- fluid retention,
- dry mouth,
- Rarely, serious hematologic, hepatic, cardiovascular and dermatologic reactions
Warnings and precautions for Marplan :
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to Marplan or any other drugs.
- Talk with your physician or pharmacist if you are taking other medications.
- You may not be alert. Avoid driving, doing other tasks or activities until you see how this medicine affects you.
- Do not eat foods that have a high tyramine content (most common in foods that are aged or fermented to increase their flavor), such as cheeses; fava or broad bean pods; yeast or meat extracts; smoked or pickled meat, poultry, or fish; fermented sausage (bologna, pepperoni, salami, and summer sausage) or other fermented meat; sauerkraut; or any overripe fruit. If a list of these foods is not given to you, ask your health care professional to provide one.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages or alcohol-free or reduced-alcohol beer and wine.
- Tell healthcare provider if you are allergic to any medicine. Make sure to tell about the allergy and how it affected you. This includes telling about rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, throat; or any other symptoms involved.
- Do not eat or drink large amounts of caffeine-containing food or beverages such as coffee, tea, cola, or chocolate.
- Do not take any other medicine unless approved or prescribed by your doctor. This especially includes nonprescription (over-the-counter [OTC]) medicine, such as that for colds (including nose drops or sprays), cough, asthma, hay fever, and appetite control; "keep awake'' products; or products that make you sleepy.
What to do if you take Overdose of Marplan ?
Seek medical attention immediately. For non emergencies, contact your local or regional poison control center.
What to do if you take Missed Dose of Marplan ?
Take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
How to Store Marplan :
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.