Phenelzine nardil uses, side effects and precautionsTweet
Brand Name: Nardil
Drug Class: Antidepressant, MAO
Uses of Phenelzine:
Phenelzine, a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor, and an antidepressant (mood elevator), is used to treat depression. Phenelzine is used to treat depression that is classified as atypical, non-endogenous or neurotic. It is also used to treat depression that has failed to respond to other antidepressant medicines.
This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How to Take Phenelzine:
Take this medicine as directed. It can be taken with or without food. Do not stop taking this medicine abruptly without consulting with your doctor. The response to treatment may be delayed for at least three weeks and may take an additional one or two weeks for the maximum effect to be reached.
Side Effects of Phenelzine:
Some common side effects reported with this medicine include:
- upset stomach
- weakness or tiredness
- excitement or anxiety
- dry mouth
- skin more sensitive to sunlight than usual
- changes in appetite or weight
- Excessive fluid retention in the body tissues, resulting in swelling (oedema)
- Life-threatening progressive damage and destruction of the liver.
Warnings and precautions for Phenelzine:
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to Phenelzine or any other drugs.
- Talk with your physician or pharmacist if you are taking other medications.
- Avoid high protein food that has undergone breakdown by ageing, fermentation, pickling, smoking or bacterial contamination.
- Tell your doctor if you use tobacco products. Cigarette smoking may decrease the effectiveness of this drug.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking Phenelzine, call your doctor immediately.
- Blood pressure should be frequently monitored as this medicine may cause it to increase. This medicine should be stopped if heart palpitations or frequent headaches occur. Seek advice from your doctor.
- This medicine may cause dizziness or drowsiness. Alcoholic beverages can increase the side effects of this medicine and should be avoided.
- Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
- tell your doctor if you have or have ever had high blood pressure, a stroke, glaucoma, an enlarged prostate, difficulty urinating, diabetes, seizures, an overactive thyroid gland, or liver, kidney, or heart disease.
What to do if you take Overdose of Phenelzine?
Seek medical attention immediately. For non emergencies, contact your local or regional poison control center.
What to do if you take Missed Dose of Phenelzine?
Take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
How to Store Phenelzine:
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
Sometimes crying or laughing
are the only options left,
and laughing feels better right now.
Self Help Leaflets
Take the help of our self help leaflets or booklets.
The DG Magazine
All about living with depression
Alphabatical list of Medicines
A || B || C || D || E || F || G || H || I || J || K || L || M || N || O || P || Q || R || S || T || U || V || W || X || Y || Z
NIMH Medications Booklet- Part I
NIMH Medications Booklet- Part II: Index of Mental Health Medications.
Children's Medications Chart
Cymbalta sometimes used to treat anxiety disorders.
Cymbalta and weight gain
Cymbalta loss weight
Cymbalta and ocd
Cymbalta for depression
Cymbalta and fibromyalgia
Bipolar disorder trileptal
Trileptal side effects
Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine
Clomipramine side effects
Mirtazapine side effects
BUY MEDICINES - YOUR ONLINE GUIDE TO BUYING DEPRESSION MEDICATIONS AND OTHER MENTAL HEALTH RELATED MEDICINES