Surmontil side effects, dosage of SurmontilTweet
Generic Name: Trimipramine (trim-IP-ra-meen)
Uses of Surmontil:
Surmontil (Trimipramine) is used to treat depression. Trimipramine also is used sometimes to treat ulcers. Helps depression by restoring two natural chemicals (serotonin and norephinephrine).
This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information. Find more information on Surmontil
How to Take Surmontil:
Take this medicine as directed. It can be taken with or without food. It may up to 4 weeks to reach full effect, but you may see symptoms of depression improving in one to two weeks. Do not stop taking this medicine abruptly without consulting with your doctor.
Side Effects of Surmontil:
Some common side effects reported with this medicine include:
- Drowsiness or dizziness
- Dry mouth
- Blurred vision
- Weight gain
Warnings and Precautions while taking Surmontil:
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to trimipramine, clomipramine (Anafranil), desipramine (Norpramin), imipramine (Tofranil), or any other medications.
- Do not take trimipramine if you are taking monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors, including phenelzine (Nardil) and tranylcypromine (Parnate). You must wait at least 2 weeks after stopping to take MAO inibitors before starting to take trimipramine.
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking.
- Tell your doctor if you have recently had a heart attack and if you have or have ever had glaucoma, urinary retention (benign prostatic hypertrophy), thyroid disease, seizures, or heart, kidney, or liver disease.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking trimipramine, call your doctor.
- If you are having surgery, including dental surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are taking trimipramine.
- You should know that trimipramine may make you drowsy. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this medication affects you.
- Remember that alcohol can add to the drowsiness caused by this medication.
- Plan to avoid unnecessary or prolonged exposure to sunlight and to wear protective clothing, sunglasses, and sunscreen. Trimipramine may make your skin sensitive to sunlight.
What to do if you take Overdose of Surmontil?
Seek medical attention immediately. For non emergencies, contact your local or regional poison control center.
What to do if you take Missed Dose of Surmontil?
Take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
How to Store Surmontil:
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.