Generic Name: Protriptyline
Uses of Vivactil:
Vivactil is indicated for the treatment of depression in patients who are under close medical supervision. Its activating properties make it particularly suitable for withdrawn and anergic patients.
This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How to Take Vivactil:
Take this medicine as directed. It can be taken with or without food. Do not stop taking this medicine abruptly without consulting with your doctor.
Side Effects of Vivactil:
Some common side effects reported with this medicine include:
- increased sun sensitivity,
- blurred vision.
- loss of appetite,
- dry mouth,
- strange taste in mouth,
Warnings and precautions for Vivactil:
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to Vivactil or any other drugs.
- Talk with your physician or pharmacist if you are taking other medications.
- Caution should be exercised when taking this medicine certain antibiotics, such as erythromycin, clarithromycin, or azithromycin. This medicine should not be taken with MAO inhibitors. If you think you are taking an MAO inhibitor talk to your doctor or pharmacist. Do not take this medicine with St. John's Wort because of the additive effects of sertonin.
- Tell your doctor if you use tobacco products. Cigarette smoking may decrease the effectiveness of this drug.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking Vivactil, call your doctor immediately.
- This medicine may cause dizziness or drowsiness. Alcoholic beverages can increase the side effects of this medicine and should be avoided.
- Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
- Limit exposure to hot weather as this medication may contribute to heat stroke.
- Before taking this medication, you should tell you physician your medical history, especially glaucoma, prostate problems, decreased urine output, thyroid disease, breathing problems, seizure problems, alcohol use, heart disease, mental/emotional problems, liver or kidney disease and any drug allergies.
What to do if you take Overdose of Vivactil?
Seek medical attention immediately. For non emergencies, contact your local or regional poison control center.
What to do if you take Missed Dose of Vivactil?
Take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
How to Store Vivactil:
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.
Sometimes crying or laughing
are the only options left,
and laughing feels better right now.
Self Help Leaflets
Take the help of our self help leaflets or booklets.
The DG Magazine
All about living with depression
Alphabatical list of Medicines
A || B || C || D || E || F || G || H || I || J || K || L || M || N || O || P || Q || R || S || T || U || V || W || X || Y || Z
NIMH Medications Booklet- Part I
NIMH Medications Booklet- Part II: Index of Mental Health Medications.
Children's Medications Chart
Cymbalta sometimes used to treat anxiety disorders.
Cymbalta and weight gain
Cymbalta loss weight
Cymbalta and ocd
Cymbalta for depression
Cymbalta and fibromyalgia
Bipolar disorder trileptal
Trileptal side effects
Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine
Clomipramine side effects
Mirtazapine side effects
BUY MEDICINES - YOUR ONLINE GUIDE TO BUYING DEPRESSION MEDICATIONS AND OTHER MENTAL HEALTH RELATED MEDICINES