Generic Name: Citalopram (sye-TAL-oh-pram)
Uses of Cipramil:
Cipramil (Citalopram) is used to treat depression. Citalopram is in a class of antidepressants (mood elevators) called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). It works by increasing the amount of a certain natural substance in the brain.
This medication is sometimes prescribed for other uses; ask your doctor or pharmacist for more information.
How to Take Cipramil:
Take this medicine as directed. It can be taken with or without food. Do not stop taking this medicine abruptly without consulting with your doctor.
Side Effects of Cipramil:
Some common side effects reported with this medicine include:
- Weakness, tiredness, or anxiety
- Difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep
- Problems ejaculating
- Dry mouth
- Changes in appetite or weight
Warnings and precautions for Cipramil:
- Tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to citalopram or any other drugs.
- Talk with your physician or pharmacist if you are taking other medications.
- Caution should be exercised when taking this medicine certain antibiotics, such as erythromycin, clarithromycin, or azithromycin. This medicine should not be taken with MAO inhibitors. If you think you are taking an MAO inhibitor talk to your doctor or pharmacist. Do not take this medicine with St. John's Wort because of the additive effects of sertonin.
- Tell your doctor if you use tobacco products. Cigarette smoking may decrease the effectiveness of this drug.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking cipramil, call your doctor immediately.
- This medicine may cause dizziness or drowsiness. Alcoholic beverages can increase the side effects of this medicine and should be avoided.
- Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this drug affects you.
What to do if you take Overdose of Cipramil?
Seek medical attention immediately. For non emergencies, contact your local or regional poison control center.
What to do if you take Missed Dose of Cipramil?
Take your next dose as soon as you remember. If it is time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one.
How to Store Cipramil:
Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly closed, and out of the reach of children. Store it at room temperature and away from excess heat and moisture (not in the bathroom). Throw away any medication that is outdated or no longer needed. Talk to your pharmacist about the proper disposal of your medication.