How to get the Better Grand Parenting Methods?Tweet
Why some people make better grandparents is a question you might have asked yourself from time to time. The question might pop up when you take the grandkids out to the park and watch the loving interactions between other sets of grandparents and grandchildren. It’s like any other skill set: you check your pulse by watching how others do it and feel kind of lousy when you decide you don’t measure up.
Some interesting tips for becoming a better Grandparent
1. Don't break the rules - at least not the big ones
If you undermine the rules your kids have set for your grandkids, you'll end up with confused grandchildren and outraged parents. If the kids aren't allowed to swim in the deep end of the pool, or ride their bikes in the street, it's not for you to say they can, even when they're at your house. But little rules are okay to bend, so let them stay up a bit late or have a second helping of dessert. You’re a grandparent, for heaven’s sake; spoil them a little!
2. Keep a secret - within reason
Trust is a fragile thing in any relationship, even between a grandparent and a grandchild. So don't blow it. Once the kids reach school age, if they want to tell you all about, well, anything at all, all you have to do is listen. But if your older grandchildren trust you enough to confide in you, they're showing you that they think you're a terrific grandparent.
3. Make your home a comfortable place to visit
Murphy's Law says that the neatest grandparents get the messiest grandkids. That's just the way it is. So when your grandchildren come to visit, try to relax and not follow them around with a Dust buster. Send the message that at your place, it's okay to make themselves at home.
Here are some reasons why grandparents are way better than parents:
1. They have lived, and they know that living is not doing the laundry. It’s building a Lego tower, or going on an adventure hike, or reading 10,000 books, or making cookies badly.
2. Discipline is not the goal. I mean, why put someone in time-out if you can give them a cookie instead. Cookies stop tears way faster than time-outs. It does look like more fun.
3. They know what works and which things are pointless to argue about.