How to Improve Your Self-EsteemTweet
Self esteem is more than confidence. There are number of apparently confident people who can do marvellous things but who have poor self-esteem. Many people in the public eye fall into this category. Before a person can overcome self-esteem problems and build healthy self-esteem, it helps to know what might cause those problems in the first place.
Ways to improve your self-esteem
- View mistakes as learning opportunities. Accept that you will make mistakes because everyone does. Mistakes are part of learning.
- Try new things. Experiment with different activities that will help you get in touch with your talents. Then take pride in new skills you develop.
- Recognize what you can change and what you can't. If you realize that you're unhappy with something about yourself that you can change, then start today.
- If it's something you can't change (like your height), then start to work toward loving yourself the way you are.
- Set goals. Think about what you'd like to accomplish, then make a plan for how to do it. Stick with your plan and keep track of your progress.
- Take pride in your opinions and ideas. Don't be afraid to voice them.
- Celebrate your journey, not your destination. Learn to always feel good about where you are now, and to exude self-confidence about anywhere you might find yourself tomorrow.
- Set clear goals for yourself before every interaction. Know what you want. Think about how the people you will be meeting can help you reach those goals. Then decide how to approach each person accordingly. Apply this regularly and you will notice a difference.
- Be proactive. Take the initiative. Be decisive. Let the other person know exactly how he or she can help you. Proactive people tent to be more successful in their career.
Tips to increase Self Esteem
- The key to positive self-esteem is to remember that you have control over your situation:
- When feeling glum about a character flaw, remind yourself that you can take action to change yourself and shape your future.
- Try not to base judgments of yourself on others' perceptions, which can be fickle.
- Do your research - A lof of self help books are a waste of time in the sense that the only person who can change you is you. Reading even this blog post will not change you unless you get emotionally involved with the information. Which is really hard as it’s really dry and boring. Go read biographies of people you respect, people who do positvive things and attain huge success. Learn from the master not the self help guru who is always in debt.
- Learn to accept compliments. It’s hard to accept a compliment and not to dismiss it as being ridiculous. Someone has an opinion and it should be respected, even if you do not argree with it. If people think good about you then maybe you should too.
- Acknowledge people. Try to give three good acknowledgments a day. It’s a whole new way of life. And it will increase your self-esteem.
- People with poor self-esteem often fail to give themselves enough time and space. So find 10 minutes every day to be alone and to just sit and do nothing.