How to Start Sleeping Without Prescription Sleep Pills?Tweet
Sleeping pills are a common treatment for people who are unable to sleep well. But a growing number of sleep specialists are using other treatment methods to provide solutions for people with sleep disorders.
Tips to Sleeping without pills
Below are some tips to start sleeping without taking prescription sleeping pills:
- Drink a warm glass of milk, and a cookie about an hour before sleep. The combination will relax you, and allow you to sleep without any pills at all.
- When you go to sleep, relax, do not think about anything.
- If you feel like you cannot sleep, count from 200 backwards. It will work and you will not need pills.
- Do not smoke prior to going to bed, this stimulate adrenaline production and causes increased blood pressure and heart rate.
- There are some supplements on the market that contain melatonin along with some other sleep inducing herbs such as valerian, chamomile, passion flower, hops flower, skullcap flower etc. There are a number of good ones online and in health food stores. Herbal sleep remedies are great because they are non-addictive and do not make you feel groggy in the morning.
- Make sure you do not drink caffeine soda, or coffee or even tea at dinner time, or at least 4 hours before bedtime.
- Maintain a regular sleep schedule, even on the weekends, so you don't lose that cycle of restfulness.
- Establish relaxing bedtime rituals, such as reading or soaking in a tub, to send a signal to your body that it's time to go to sleep.
- Establish a sleep-friendly environment: cool, quiet, dark, comfortable, and free of interruptions.
- Use your bed for sleep only.
- Avoid stimulants such as caffeine and nicotine, and stay away from alcohol.
- If you don't fall asleep within 15 or 20 minutes of going to bed and turning out the lights, get out of bed and try another relaxing activity until you feel sleepy again.
- Makes sure your bed, pillows, bedding, and covers are comfortable and appropriate to the season.
- Darken the room so there is no more light than what one small candle would provide.
Some tips on Sleeping without the use of Sleeping pills
- Eliminate extraneous noise or add white noise if you prefer it.
- Make sure your bedroom is well ventilated, not drafty, and cooler than you keep the house during the day.
- Thirty minutes before bedtime try a warm bath or shower. Use mild aromas that appeal to you. Lavender is known to have relaxing properties.
- Avoid smoking in the night, a couple of hours before your sleeping time. If you can quit smoking for good - all the better.
- Adding honey to warm milk will help the body absorb tryptophan faster and will also produce a quicker sedative effect.