Jack Green the Hurdler is Racing with DepressionTweet
Jack was born on 6 October 1991 at Maidstone, Kent, Great Britain. Jack green is a Track and Field athlete who has been successful and famous for his Olympic performance. At the tender age of 19 years he was the youngest athlete to win the European Under 23 400m hurdle title. He has been representing his country, Great Britain continuously for different international events across age groups as he grows. Jack Green, according to him, is suffering from depression since the age of 14. He has been suffering from depression and still he performed so well in the track and field international events. Quite an achievement.
Jack took a break from his athletics career owing to his depression in the year 2013, July. Once he was able to recover, he made his comeback through a low key relay race meeting in Gainesville.
Jack's sports Achievements
- Jack while going through his teenage years has discovered his prowess in track and field events especially in hurdles. He became the youngest player at the age of 19 to win the European 400 M hurdles.
- Green completed the race with less than two-tenths second away from an Olympic medal in the 4x400m relay at London 2012.
- Green although lost in a fog of depression, suicidal thoughts and feeling of stepping away from sport, recovered and came back to sports.
- Olympic Games: 2012 - 400m hurdles semi-finalist
- World Championships: 2013 - 400m hurdles semi-finalist
- World Junior Championships - 4x400m relay bronze
Jack Greens journey with depression
According to Green's word, "It is horrible to look back. I knew something was wrong for a very long time, I just wasn't sure what." In the December 2013 Green, took an extended break from the sport, and said "I'm not sure I ever enjoyed running. I know I enjoyed winning, being a winner."
After in this state for about 4 months, he decided to run again and he started training in his childhood track. Very recently, after more than 8 month of break and on medication, he started his new life in US and trained with 2008 Olympic 400m champion LaShawn Merritt.
He had lost all his saving and was in Financial turmoil and sold his house to go to Florida.