Meniere's Disease is one type of ear disease. This disease is first introduced by French physician Prosper Meniere in 1861. It is one type of disorder of inner ear. Meniere disease is consisting filling of pressure in the ear and loss of hearing sensation. It is a type of chronic problem. Meniere's disease is caused by tinnitus of ear. Meniere’s disease is disorder of an inner ear that can involve hearing as well as balance.
What are the main causes of Meniere's Disease?
- Meniere's Disease is caused by changing fluid volume of labyrinth that is part of inner ear.
- Swelling of tissue in vestibular system of ear is main cause of Meniere's disease.
- Meniere's Disease is also caused by viral infection of ear.
- Excess smoking or drinking is as well cause of this type of disease.
- Daily use of Aspirin is also reason of Meniere's disease.
- Excess utilization of caffeine and salt is cause of Meniere's disease.
Important symptoms of Meniere's Disease
There are several symptoms of Meniere's disease;
- Loss of hearing
- Abdominal disturbances
- Sometimes diarrhea
- Sensation of fullness in ear
Diagnosis of Meniere's Disease
- Medical history and physical examination of patient's ear play an important role in Diagnosis of Meniere's disease.
- Hearing balance test is essential method of diagnosis of Meniere's disease.
- Sometimes, MRI scan is also determine Meniere's disease.
- Diagnosis of Meniere's Disease is also consist of measurement of hearing loss.
- Audiometry is one more method of diagnosis of Meniere's disease.
What are treatments for Meniere's Disease?
- There are some medicines such as ototoxic antibiotic, gentamycin etc.are used for treatment of Meniere's disease.
- Occasionally, surgical treatments are also used for Meniere's disease.
- In Meniere's disease, some medicines such as antihistamines, anticholinergics, steroids, and diuretics are used for decreasing pressure of inner ear.
- The anti-herpes virus drug is also used in treatment of Meniere's disease.
- Trans tympanic injection of Gentamicin is also used for manage of Meniere’s disease.
Prevention of Meniere's Disease
- Avoiding excess salty food is more prevented Meniere's disease.
- Preventing any ear infection by various treatments is essential for prevention of Meniere's disease.