Ramsay Hunt SyndromeTweet
Ramsay Hunt syndrome is first discovered by James Ramsay Hunt. Ramsay Hunt syndrome is also known as herpes zoster oticus. It is mainly affected on facial nerves. Ramsay Hunt syndrome is one type brain disorder. It is syndrome of nervous system which consist of neurological disorder that caused by virus varicella zoster. Sometimes it is inherited type of syndrome.
Types of Ramsay Hunt syndrome
There are two types of Ramsay Hunt syndrome;
- Dyssynergia cerebellaris myoclonica - It is commonly called as Ramsay Hunt syndrome type I. It is mainly caused by degenerative neurological disorder. Mostly, this type Ramsay Hunt syndrome of occurred in children.
- Herpes Zoster Oticus - It is commonly called as Ramsay Hunt syndrome type II. It is mainly caused by infection of virus. Mostly, problem of shingles are responsible for Herpes Zoster Oticus syndrome.
Causes of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome
- Ramsay Hunt Syndrome is mainly caused by infection of varicella-zoster virus.
- Damage of seventh cranial nerve is responsible for Ramsay Hunt Syndrome.
- Facial weakness and Bell's palsy may be also causes of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome.
What are the symptoms of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome?
There are several sign and symptoms occurred in case of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome;
- Loss of taste
- Facial paralysis
- Swelling problem
- Mouth dryness
- Looseness of the face
- Muscle weakness
- Ear pain
Diagnosis of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome
- Physical examination is simple method of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome.
- Blood test are also carried out detection of varicella-zoster virus in process of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome.
- Ramsay Hunt Syndrome is also diagnoses by DNA test.
- MRI scan is also helpful for determining Ramsay Hunt Syndrome.
- Sometimes, Ramsay Hunt Syndrome is tested by spinal tap technique.
- PCR test that is polymerase chain reaction test is most popular test in diagnosis of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome.
Treatments for Ramsay Hunt Syndrome
In treatment of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome, recovery of syndrome is very important. There are various options used in treatment of this syndrome;
- Several facial exercises are essential in treatment of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome.
- There are also some uses of Anti-viral medications, for example Acyclovir and Famciclovir.
- Treatment of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome is also includes some intra muscular injections.
- Daily use of eye drop is also effective on eye drooping of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome.
- You can also take pain relievers for curing Ramsay Hunt syndrome.
- Corticosteroids medicine is used to reduce swelling of body in case of Ramsay Hunt Syndrome.