What is Spinal stenosis?
Spinal stenosis is occurred due to narrowing spinal cord which is originated by pinching of nerve. This type of disorder may be involves pain in buttocks, limping, reducing physical activities. Spinal stenosis is a condition that is caused by a contraction of adjacent space of the spinal cord. In this condition, the spinal cord expands from area of the brain to the base of the spine. Lumber spinal stenosis is most common spinal stenosis.
Causes of Spinal stenosis
There are various causes of spinal stenosis which involves;
- Degenerative arthritis is most common cause of lumbar spinal stenosis.
- Changes in size of spinal canal is also responsible for lumber spinal stenosis.
- Spinal stenosis is as well caused by getting thicker connective tissues.
- Different type of tumors may be cause of spinal stenosis.
- Spinal stenosis is also caused by spinal infections.
- Paget's disease may be main cause of spinal stenosis.
Symptoms of Spinal stenosis
Mostly, symptoms of spinal stenosis get increased during time of walking. There are several signs or symptoms of spinal stenosis;
- Pain in buttocks
- Stiffness in the legs
- Low back pain
- Difficulty in walking
- Neck pain
- Weakness of the legs
- Lack of sensation
Diagnosis of Spinal stenosis
- Generally, MRI scan and CT scan are used in diagnosis of spinal stenosis.
- Some neurological examination is also helpful in testing spinal stenosis.
- Sometimes, spinal stenosis is diagnosed by EMG technique which is showing neurological changes.
- Spinal stenosis is also detected by bone scan which can detect various bone fracture, tumors, infections etc.
Treatment for Spinal stenosis
Spinal stenosis is cured by various medications, injections with rest.
- Pain medicines can be used in treatment of spinal stenosis.
- Regular exercise also plays an important role in treatment of spinal stenosis.
- Physical therapy is also essential in curing spinal stenosis.
- You can also taking anti-inflammatory medicines in treatment of spinal stenosis.
- Spinal stenosis treatment is includes Epidural injections.
- You can as well taking simply painkiller for relieving spinal pain.
- Sometimes, treatment of spinal stenosis is also consisting of various surgery which may be good for spinal stenosis.
Do you like this Story?
Stay Connected with DG