Trigeminal neuralgia is one type of neurological disorder. It is also known as doulourex. This type of disorder consists of swelling of the trigeminal nerve that is fifth cranial nerve which affected facial organs like lips, eye, nose, scalp, forehead, cheek and gums. It is as well called as simply TN. Trigeminal neuralgia is occurs mostly in 50 aged persons.
Causes of Trigeminal neuralgia
- Simply aging may be main reason of trigeminal neuralgia.
- Myelin sheath is protected various nerves. Therefore, damage myelin sheath is also responsible for trigeminal neuralgia.
- Tumor condensing the trigeminal nerve is as well cause of TN.
- Trigeminal neuralgia is also caused by pressure on blood vessel.
- Physical damage of nerves is as well cause of Trigeminal neuralgia.
Symptoms of Trigeminal neuralgia
There are several signs and symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia;
- Migraine headache pain
- Electric shock like pain
- Pain at the one side of face
- Normal attack
- Irregular type of pain
- Difficulty in speaking
- Chewing complication
Diagnosis of Trigeminal neuralgia
Generally, Trigeminal neuralgia is diagnosis by their signs and symptoms. There are no particular test for diagnosis of trigeminal neuralgia. Trigeminal neuralgia is tested by patient's medical history. Physical check up also helpful in diagnosis of TN. Sometimes, doctors are use of MRI scan for detecting tumor in Trigeminal neuralgia.
Treatment for Trigeminal neuralgia
- For decreasing pain of this disorder, you can apply ice packs on area of pain.
- Management of stress is very important in treatment of Trigeminal neuralgia.
- Avoid some types of stimulating food like tea, coffee and take balanced food.
- Regular exercise is play an important role in treatment of TN.
- In treatment of TN, radiation therapy is also used for avoiding pain.
- You can also use of some medicines such as anticonvulsants which includes carbamazepine, phenytoin etc. or taking some antidepressants are also effective.
- Sometimes, surgery is required in treatment of Trigeminal neuralgia for reducing pressure on nerve or relieving damage of nerve.
- Motor cortex stimulation is one of available option for treatment of Trigeminal neuralgia.