How to confront a friend?Tweet
Friendships are not always peaches and cream. Long lasting, enduring friendships might period dozens of years and occasional disagreements. It's one thing to have a difference of view with a friend. It's one more to consider that your friend is wrong. A good friend won't let a friend get harm without trying to stop it.
Being a friend is a lot like being a family member. To have a healthy, lasting relationship you'll need to spend time, patience, and emotion. But most of us consent that the end result is value it and who knows, your intervention may end up saving someone's life or self-respect.
Caring Enough to Confront
Confronting an important person you mind about does not need judging, blaming or attacking the person nor does it need humiliating or forcing the person to take act. Confronting vital person means that you have the bravery to let your friend know what you have seen and heard that you are worried about them and that you are ready to help.
- Stay for the right time: Do not exclaim out your anxiety in face of extra people. Take your friend sideways when there is nothing urgent on his or her timetable. You might still want to position a exact time that might help to stop breaks or distractions.
- Use a optimistic method: Calm yourself with the vision that you are trying to help your friend, not censure him. Write out and practice your words beforehand, carefully choosing terms that will not offend or raise red flags.
- Describe your observations: It is vital that you explain your observations in a non judgemental way and state anxiety in your observations.
- Self appraisal: Freshly we overheard an important person in our minster criticizing the way a few youth group girls were dressing. As her anxiety were suitable, the woman making the grievance was dressed in a very form fitting dress. If she had confronted the girls concerning their be short of modesty, her reprimand would have fallen on deaf ears.
- Promote interaction: Do not do all the discussion. Nor should you simply listen as your friend makes excuses. In its place, ask a a small number of questions and listen patiently to the answers. Quietly getting your friend to think the penalty of certain behaviors. Propose to become an accountability partner, sharing one of your weaknesses after your friend has explored his. Suggest that the two of you make sure in with each other each week or two to see how the other is doing. Think ways of addressing both of your problems.
- Instigate follow-up: If your friend gets annoyed and pulls back from the friendship, give him time to care for injured feelings. But then get back in touch to show that your promise to the friendship is ongoing. Previous to too long, previous to the problem behavior again in careful terms. It may be that your friend will decide to end the relationship, but that is his choice. All you can do is dish up as the mirror that reproduces choices and penalty.
If the behavior is problematic, illegal, or immoral, you might require to get help. Converse to a dependable family member or mutual friend who might be ready to contribute in the next confrontation or otherwise you might want to contact a counselor for advice.