Somniloquy is talking while sleeping. Same as Sleepwalking, it is a type of sleep disorder which can affect children in the age group of 3-8 and adults as well. It is not a serious disorder which needs urgent medical attention, if present alone. If it is present along with other disorders such as somnambulism and apnea, it is considered serious. Presence of anxiety disorders and stress can make people talk more while sleeping. Somniloquy is still a sleep mystery for which scientists have little explanation.
According to a recent study on toddlers, it is found that almost 80% of them talk in sleep or babble something meaningless. This phenomenon is also seen in older kids and adults of all age, but with much lesser percentage occurrence.
Treatment options for Somniloquy
Although Somniloquy is harmless, it can be very irritating for the family members. If this is the case, then use the tips given below to control the sleep talking of the suffering person.
- There is no need of any treatment. But if the sleep talking is affecting the whole family as such, then talk to your physician or sleep expert about the issue. There could be a possible underlying reason such as sleep disorder, anxiety or stress behind sleep talking.
- People while talking in their sleep, are not aware about it and they talk in some senseless, emotionless tone.
- Some tips to control sleep talking is to avoid heavy meals before bedtime, taking good rest, reduce stress levels by following relaxation techniques, maintain regular sleep hygiene, etc.
- Follow regular sleep schedule and get adequate sleep.
- Refrain from alcohol
Sometimes crying or laughing
are the only options left,
and laughing feels better right now.
Self Help Leaflets
Take the help of our self help leaflets or booklets.
The DG Magazine
All about living with depression
Most Read on Sleep
- ABCs of Good Sleep
- 42 Tips to Get a Better Night
- Too little sleep, Get 45 tips
- 21 tips for Too much sleep
- Sleep at the wrong time of the day?
- 15 Sleep tips for parents with kids
- 60 Easy Snoring Tips
- Nighttime Odd Behaviour during Sleep
- How sleep is related to medical conditions?
- Sleep advice for people on Prescription Medication
- Alternative cure for sleep disorders
- Tempurpedic Mattresses
- Sleeping Disorder type.
- Aromatherapy for Insomnia
- Insomnia Causes
- Sleep Dreams
- Too much sleep?
- Child Sleeping Disorder
- Idiopathic hypersomnia
- Jet lag
- Segmented sleep
- Reset Your Brain for Better Sleep
- SIDS (Safe Sleep)
- Teens and Sleep
- Teeth grinding -Bruxism
- Kids and Sleeping
- Restless Legs Syndrome
- Circadian Rhythm Sleep Disorder
- REM Sleep Behavior Disorder
- Sleep Terrors
- Polyphasic sleep
- Sleep Hygiene
- shift work sleep disorder
- Sleep Diary
- Nightmares in Adults
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Central Sleep Apnea
- Periodic Limb Movement Disorder
- Upper airway resistance syndrome
- Fatal familial insomnia
- Sleep Paralysis
- Morvan's syndrome
- Neutral spine
- Ultradian rhythm
- Power nap
- Sleep-Related Eating Disorders
- Six Tips to Design the Ideal Bedroom for Sleep