What is Menstrual migraine?
Menstrual migraine can affect anyone of any age. They are commonly seen in troublesome for women in the reproductive years. Migraines occurring on a regular basis between days -2 and +3 of the menstrual cycle. Menstrual migraine occurs during or after the fall of estradiol levels. Menstrual migraine mainly appear in women during the time of menstrual cycle.
Causes of Menstrual migraine
- Dysmodulation of the response by serotoninergic and opioidergic systems to hormonal fluctuations
- Abnormal neurotransmitter responses to normal cyclic changes in the ovarian hormones
- Dopamine-receptor hypersensitivity
- Estradiol vasodilates small-diameter cerebral vessels in healthy women
Symptoms of Menstrual migraine
- Visual flashing lights, bright zig-zag patterns or blind spots
- Loss of balance
- Change or loss in level of consciousness
- Constant high level of oestrogen.
Treatment for Menstrual migraine
- Both prophylactic and acute abortive and symptomatic measures are used in the treatment of menstrual migraine.
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDs) such as ibuprofen or naproxen sodium play an important role in the treatment of menstrual migraine
- Dihydroergotamine (DHE) can be used as a nasal spray
- Oestrogen supplements can be used during the seven-day pill-free interval.
- After taking the medication, lie down in a dark, quiet room until the pain subsides.
- Naproxen sodium has been used as effective for treatment-resistant menstrual migraines.
Sometimes crying or laughing
are the only options left,
and laughing feels better right now.
Self Help Leaflets
Take the help of our self help leaflets or booklets.
The DG Magazine
All about living with depression
Migraine headache symptom
Migraine headache treatment
Cause of Migraine headache
Migraine pressure point
Migraine home remedy
Migraine and pregnancy
Migraine headache relief
Basilar artery migraine
Migraine headache medication
Natural Migraine relief
Natural remedy for migraine
Cure for Migraine headache
Migraine headache remedy
Natural cure for migraine
Natural Migraine treatment
Herbal migrane remedy
How to get rid of a migraine