Alcoholic Anonymous: alcoholic drink recipeTweet
I grew up in a alcoholic home and became alcoholic myself , I got sober in AA 24 years ago but didn't deal with family of origin issues I started drinking again twice during these 24 years and currently have 11 years . I think I drank and used drugs because I was depressed . I took Prozac Prescibed by my family physician for about 10 years and experienced relief but gave up on it . I was acting out in alotta ways and deathly afraid of being caught but could'nt stop . Its like I need to feel lousey about myself I am currently being prescibed Neurontin and Lamictal by a psychitrist for bipolar and I see a counsellour who is big on Bowen family systems . The thing now is that I se the patterns back all of my life . The diagnoses makes sence but I have this pattern of one answer after another . One cure all after another . Religion , exercise , Adult Childern meetings , Alanon , SA many counsellors , Course in Miracles , art therapy and of course drugs and alcohol . I tend to get enthusiastic and full of well beng then get all gloomy and think alot of suicide knowing full well I could'nt do that to my kids no differnt than my Dad abandoning my family for drinking , women and eventually fatal cancer . I try to tell friends in AA about my depression and struggle with spiritality and eventally I feel just misunderstood and rejected . " Get over it ! " they say , Work the steps ! " and I feel inadequate and ashamed . " Stop dwelling on the past ! " also is a standard comeback . In counselling I feel frustrated but I keep at it . I am starting to cherish my deeply felt life . I don't know what its like for anyone else who isn't depressed but I am begining to simply not disclose myself becase it hasn't helped any . I seem to seek out rejection like I felt from my absent Dad . I have hope about sharing here . My power greater than myself is the experience of others.
Posted by doug : March 1, 2005
Come and share your personal depression experiences so that others will also learn from your personal experiences with depression.
Send us your story about depression
Thank you for your sharing.
Sometimes crying or laughing
are the only options left,
and laughing feels better right now.
Self Help Leaflets
Take the help of our self help leaflets or booklets.
The DG Magazine
All about living with depression
More Depression Stories
- 2nd Birth
- Slow Dance
- Traumatized by my husband
- My long road to recovery
- My Lifes Proper Bangers Mate
- I get no relief
- Love hurts
- Wanting to give Giving up
- I know How you Feel
- Depression how it can affect u
- whys this me against the world
- My Hidden Secrets
- This pain
- How Schutzhund Saved Me
- Depression Confession - A Father's Determination
- Depth of Depression, My Story
- So YOU think YOU have it bad eh ????
- Story of my life
- The Room and the Return
- MY Life
- Depression gets the best of us
- Improving Self Esteem - I am a Loser effect
- I don't care anymore
- Living in a moment
- I have no friends - what to do?
- These Things Have Saved Me
- heart break box
- A Concerned Mother
- Come as you are.
- 14 year old girl with deppression
- Becca Mild Depression
- Jayne (We can get rid of it)
- Guy (The apple doesn't fall far from the tree )
- Karen (Systemic Lupus Erythematosis - The Will to Survive )
- Claire (Beat depression dont let it beat you )
- majordepressedguy (Seen a light)
- Dylan ( My Depression)
- april banlawi
- i\'m i depressed??
- wounds of my heart
- depression for years
- i dont know am 17
- I have no more guts to face my parents
- Nice guy syndrome
- My story
- depression hurts
- Nobody cares and why should they
- The Slacker Perfectionist
- To Finally Drop My Fake Smile
- People i walk with
- one girl, one depression, one not understanding world
- What Hurts the Most
- Tired of everything
- hate of life
- Life-Long Despair
- How does depression affect your daily life?
- My Depressed Life
- The Secret Life Of Depression and Anxiety