27 Years Old
The human beings inhabited this planet as a product of millions of years of evolution. Over a huge proportion of those actually, until relatively recently, adaptational challenges were confined to simple necessities like the provision of adequate food, shelter, clothing and safety, and means of transmitting the primitive wisdom and skills of earlier generation to later ones. The rate of progress in technology and in the comprehension of nature over all of this vast period was insufficient to outstrip to any significant degree the necessarily slow organismic changes brought by evolutionary processes.
Abnormal psychology is a psychological dysfunction within an individual that is associated with distress or impairment in functioning and a response that is not typical or culturally expected.
Psychological dysfunction is a breakdown in cognitive, emotional, or behavioral functioning. A cognitive dysfunction is present, if an individual displays psychotic behavior that is hallucination and total separation from reality as in schizophrenia and some severe disorders.
In conclusions, though it is difficult to define "normal" and "abnormal" and the debate continues ( Lynnfield & Mariono; 1995; Colette & Hout, 1996) we can say safely say that behavioral, emotional or cognitive dysfunction that is unexpected in cultural context and associated with personal distress or substantial impainnents in functioning, are abnormal.
Personal Adjustment (Adaptation)
Another norm, which is often suggested, is personal adjustment. Life is a continuous process of adjusting in which we strive to meet our own needs and maintain harmonious relations with our environment. When an individual deals with his problems effectively, he is said to be all adjusted - to be adapting successfully to both their inner and outer demands being made upon him. Conversely, when his problem proves too much for him- as shown by anxiety inefficiency, unhappiness or more serious symptoms, he is referred to as maladjusted.
This norm is very popular and has the added advantage of being applicable to biological as well as psychological levels of adjustments.
Posted by Criss : June 8, 2005
Come and share your personal depression experiences so that others will also learn from your personal experiences with depression.
Send us your story about depression
Thank you for your sharing.
Sometimes crying or laughing
are the only options left,
and laughing feels better right now.
Self Help Leaflets
Take the help of our self help leaflets or booklets.
The DG Magazine
All about living with depression
More Depression Stories
- 2nd Birth
- Slow Dance
- Traumatized by my husband
- My long road to recovery
- My Lifes Proper Bangers Mate
- I get no relief
- Love hurts
- Wanting to give Giving up
- I know How you Feel
- Depression how it can affect u
- whys this me against the world
- My Hidden Secrets
- This pain
- How Schutzhund Saved Me
- Depression Confession - A Father's Determination
- Depth of Depression, My Story
- So YOU think YOU have it bad eh ????
- Story of my life
- The Room and the Return
- MY Life
- Depression gets the best of us
- Improving Self Esteem - I am a Loser effect
- I don't care anymore
- Living in a moment
- I have no friends - what to do?
- These Things Have Saved Me
- heart break box
- A Concerned Mother
- Come as you are.
- 14 year old girl with deppression
- Becca Mild Depression
- Jayne (We can get rid of it)
- Guy (The apple doesn't fall far from the tree )
- Karen (Systemic Lupus Erythematosis - The Will to Survive )
- Claire (Beat depression dont let it beat you )
- majordepressedguy (Seen a light)
- Dylan ( My Depression)
- april banlawi
- i\'m i depressed??
- wounds of my heart
- depression for years
- i dont know am 17
- I have no more guts to face my parents
- Nice guy syndrome
- My story
- depression hurts
- Nobody cares and why should they
- The Slacker Perfectionist
- To Finally Drop My Fake Smile
- People i walk with
- one girl, one depression, one not understanding world
- What Hurts the Most
- Tired of everything
- hate of life
- Life-Long Despair
- How does depression affect your daily life?
- My Depressed Life
- The Secret Life Of Depression and Anxiety