How Schutzhund Saved MeTweet
Posted by Kaitlyn : Apr 27, 2011
Last year, I was suffering from depression. I lost interest in things, I shut myself away from others, I had low self confidence, and was very stressed from threats to my favorite animal, the wolf. My mom took me to a therapist, which helped reduce the sadness, but didn't help with my self confidence in my appearances.
Earlier this year, I had to write a report for Honors English, and I was able to choose my subject. I chose a sport called Schutzhund. My aunt and uncle are familiar with the sport, so I asked them if I ever needed help. Eventually, I got to the point where I was having difficulty finishing the paper, so my uncle put me in scratch pants and put a bite sleeve on my arm and brought his German Shepherd dog, Zeus, out. Zeus did a simple bark & hold, so he just sat in front of me and barked. He waited until I moved my arm, then he gripped the sleeve. Believe it or not, but this experience made me happy and gave me some confidence.
Recently I got to do the escape, which is an attempt to run from the dog but they catch the decoy, with two of my uncle's dogs. This experience has given me more confidence within myself, and I don't care about what other students think of me anymore.
I'm 17, and happy to say that Schutzhund is the key that allows me to be confident and comfortable with myself.
Posted byKaitlyn : Apr 27, 2011
Come and share your personal depression experiences so that others will also learn from your personal experiences with depression.
Send us your story about depression
Thank you for your sharing.
Sometimes crying or laughing
are the only options left,
and laughing feels better right now.
Self Help Leaflets
Take the help of our self help leaflets or booklets.
The DG Magazine
All about living with depression
More Depression Stories
- Wendy Williams story
- 2nd Birth
- Slow Dance
- Traumatized by my husband
- My long road to recovery
- My Lifes Proper Bangers Mate
- I get no relief
- Love hurts
- Wanting to give Giving up
- I know How you Feel
- Depression how it can affect u
- whys this me against the world
- My Hidden Secrets
- This pain
- How Schutzhund Saved Me
- Depression Confession - A Father's Determination
- Depth of Depression, My Story
- So YOU think YOU have it bad eh ????
- Story of my life
- The Room and the Return
- MY Life
- Depression gets the best of us
- Improving Self Esteem - I am a Loser effect
- I don't care anymore
- Living in a moment
- I have no friends - what to do?
- These Things Have Saved Me
- heart break box
- A Concerned Mother
- Come as you are.
- 14 year old girl with deppression
- Becca Mild Depression
- Jayne (We can get rid of it)
- Guy (The apple doesn't fall far from the tree )
- Karen (Systemic Lupus Erythematosis - The Will to Survive )
- Claire (Beat depression dont let it beat you )
- majordepressedguy (Seen a light)
- Dylan ( My Depression)
- april banlawi
- i\'m i depressed??
- wounds of my heart
- depression for years
- i dont know am 17
- I have no more guts to face my parents
- Nice guy syndrome
- My story
- depression hurts
- Nobody cares and why should they
- The Slacker Perfectionist
- To Finally Drop My Fake Smile
- People i walk with
- one girl, one depression, one not understanding world
- What Hurts the Most
- Tired of everything
- hate of life
- Life-Long Despair
- How does depression affect your daily life?
- My Depressed Life
- The Secret Life Of Depression and Anxiety
- My Story of Schizophrenia in Family