My Story of Schizophrenia in Family - It's Effects and ManagementTweet
My son was diagnosed with schizophrenia about a year back and it was pretty sad to see him suffer all along. My mother has paranoid schizophrenia, so I was kind of aware of the signs and symptoms. One specific day, my son was hearing voices and was almost having a breakdown. I called up the medical aid team in a hurry and the emergency unit sent out an officer to assess/control the situation. The officer was somewhat on training and he had no idea how to deal with someone having a breakdown. He put my son in handcuffs, owing to which my son, who was hearing voices, flipped out and kicked the officer in the groin area and tried to resist. The officer took him to jail and they blamed me for the behaviour of my son.
I could not have done much, but it was evident that the officer was not a properly trained and experienced one. He need to be trained more and has some sympathu for the mental health people. A good enuogh support system is what is needed for helping people with mental illness not ending up in a jail or an asylum. Few of the feelings which I had during that time were like - I need to get my son correct medicines and treatment, It's been very hard road for all of us and we were living one day at a time.
New study in the field of Schizophrenia
According to the research conduccted in Ireland, the blood vessel abnormalities in the brain has been seen to influence the development of schizophrenia in patients.
Researchers working at the TCD Smurfit Institute of Genetics and RCSI Department of Psychiatry have identified that abnormalities in the positions of barrier, generally indicated by leaky capillaries, can be a significant and critical factor in the development of schizophrenia and other brain disorders.
The discovery by scientists can open up a new front in the development of drugs to treat schizophrenia which is currently capacitating about 1 percent of population across the world.
Symptom Control options for Schizophrenia
Besides medication, another effective form of treatment for Schizophrenia is psychotherapy. It helps achieve the following:
- The person can make sense of his illness
- Psychotherapy can take various forms and can be conducted on a one-to-one basis or in a group.
- The person’s feelings about the illness
- His / Her experience of medication, denying the illness
- The impact that the illness has on the person’s self-esteem
- Impact on interpersonal relations
- How it effects other aspects of life
- Rehabilitation and counselling help the individual to function in society.
Few Treatment options for Schizophrenia
Treatment for schizophrenia includes antipsychotics medication and psychotherapy. Some of the most common antipsychotics used includes:
- Risperidone (Risperdal)
- Haloperidol (Haldol)
- Ziprasidone (Geodon)
- Olanzapine (Zyprexa)
- Aripiprazole (Abilify)
Come and share your personal depression experiences so that others will also learn from your personal experiences with depression.
Send us your story about depression
Thank you for your sharing.
Sometimes crying or laughing
are the only options left,
and laughing feels better right now.
Self Help Leaflets
Take the help of our self help leaflets or booklets.
The DG Magazine
All about living with depression
More Depression Stories
- Wendy Williams story
- 2nd Birth
- Slow Dance
- Traumatized by my husband
- My long road to recovery
- My Lifes Proper Bangers Mate
- I get no relief
- Love hurts
- Wanting to give Giving up
- I know How you Feel
- Depression how it can affect u
- whys this me against the world
- My Hidden Secrets
- This pain
- How Schutzhund Saved Me
- Depression Confession - A Father's Determination
- Depth of Depression, My Story
- So YOU think YOU have it bad eh ????
- Story of my life
- The Room and the Return
- MY Life
- Depression gets the best of us
- Improving Self Esteem - I am a Loser effect
- I don't care anymore
- Living in a moment
- I have no friends - what to do?
- These Things Have Saved Me
- heart break box
- A Concerned Mother
- Come as you are.
- 14 year old girl with deppression
- Becca Mild Depression
- Jayne (We can get rid of it)
- Guy (The apple doesn't fall far from the tree )
- Karen (Systemic Lupus Erythematosis - The Will to Survive )
- Claire (Beat depression dont let it beat you )
- majordepressedguy (Seen a light)
- Dylan ( My Depression)
- april banlawi
- i\'m i depressed??
- wounds of my heart
- depression for years
- i dont know am 17
- I have no more guts to face my parents
- Nice guy syndrome
- My story
- depression hurts
- Nobody cares and why should they
- The Slacker Perfectionist
- To Finally Drop My Fake Smile
- People i walk with
- one girl, one depression, one not understanding world
- What Hurts the Most
- Tired of everything
- hate of life
- Life-Long Despair
- How does depression affect your daily life?
- My Depressed Life
- The Secret Life Of Depression and Anxiety
- My Story of Schizophrenia in Family